Which is Correct

Thank You JimCost2014, VanguardK2,

I would really like to have a 2500HD, that would be the solution for towing.  Spent part of afternoon looking at them online.

I would have to find a very sharpened pencil to to Trade In my truck, hopefully that will happen.  If not, I will put in the 3.73 gears in my truck.

But really Thank You for your Great thoughts and the right suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, James Beyer said:

Dieselfan1,  Thank You, I did look at various trucks.  But, GM should not have put tow Capacity at 8500 Lbs., other wise I would not have Bought my truck!

Other than towing capacity, I really like like my GM Truck.  In hindsite, I had No Plans on buying a big travel trailer, and would not have, if not for now raising 3 Grandchildren. 

Will admit, it would be nice to afford one of those 2500 Diesel crew cab 4x4 but not in the cards money wise.

It "was" 8500lbs.  GM had a mis-print in the owners manual when these 2014s came out and dealers had to insert a revised tow chart into the owners manual with the revised ratings for 3.08 trucks.  The corrected #s were what was supposed to be printed in the first place.  

59 minutes ago, James Beyer said:

Thank You Swathdiver,

if I change to the 3.73 rear, does that also increase my payload?

No.  Payload is all in the springs/axles.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Beyer said:

Thank You Swathdiver,

if I change to the 3.73 rear, does that also increase my payload?

In a way, yes.  It positions the engine better in the powerband best suited for towing.  NHT trucks also have an extra leaf spring on each side, you can buy a pair for about $60 to add one to each side if you feel the need.  Towing 8500 pounds with the upgraded gears, you should be fine in the short term but over the long haul, I would want to either get a stronger carrier for your existing axle or replace it the larger one.

Do those K2s have the engine oil cooler and external transmission coolers like the older trucks?

Thank You Everyone, really like this site, great information from good people.

Later- 

Edited by James Beyer
Update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, James Beyer said:

Hey guys, I ran across a great deal on a 2014 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Denali 6.2L with Max Tow Package.

Will that be good enough to haul my 7500 dry weight camper?

I believe Max Tow Package is the NHT RPO code and that means 3.73 gears.  If so, then it's towing capacity, assuming 4x4, is 11,700 pounds with a GCWR (Truck and trailer) of 17,500 pounds.

Thank You Swathdiver, looked at the truck, not very well maintained, so I passed.  But to know that would work, is a good start, Thank You!

• Like 1