Which is Correct

Have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4, 5.3L, 6-speed trans, and 91k miles.

Has trailer brake controller, Z-71 pkg, All Terrain pkg,  transmission fluid cooler, high capacity air cleaner, auto locking rear differential, ultrasonic rear park assist, and trailering pkg.

Finally paid off truck so I could Afford a 34' Rockwood Travel Trailer, 7450 Lbs, which I purchased and towed home.

When I bought the truck used in December of 2015, I was shown a 2014 Owners Manual saying my truck Tow Capacity was 8500 Lbs., but it says 7200 Lbs on the door frame, does anyone know which is Correct?

Now I find out my truck has 3.08 gears. SERIOUSLY GM, you put in these Options on a Truck, then Install 3.08 Gears,

What is GM Thinking???

Now I have to worry if my truck is capable of towing our travel trailer any distance.

Hey All, looking for your thoughts,

Thank You!

Where does it say on the door frame how much you can tow? Are looking at the gvwr or something?

You should be referencing this guide.

http://letstowthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2014-GMC-Trailering-Guide.pdf

If you really have 3.08 gears then it sounds like your max trailer weight is 6600lbs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, James Beyer said:

Have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4, 5.3L, 6-speed trans, and 91k miles.

Has trailer brake controller, Z-71 pkg, All Terrain pkg,  transmission fluid cooler, high capacity air cleaner, auto locking rear differential, ultrasonic rear park assist, and trailering pkg.

Finally paid off truck so I could Afford a 34' Rockwood Travel Trailer, 7450 Lbs, which I purchased and towed home.

When I bought the truck used in December of 2015, I was shown a 2014 Owners Manual saying my truck Tow Capacity was 8500 Lbs., but it says 7200 Lbs on the door frame, does anyone know which is Correct?

Now I find out my truck has 3.08 gears. SERIOUSLY GM, you put in these Options on a Truck, then Install 3.08 Gears,

What is GM Thinking???

Now I have to worry if my truck is capable of towing our travel trailer any distance.

Hey All, looking for your thoughts,

Thank You!

11 minutes ago, James Beyer said:

Thank You m3n00b,

I downloaded trailer guide, and took a picture on the trucks door frame.

20210417_112939.jpg

7200lbs is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or GVWR.  That is not the tow rating.  GVWR is the total allowable weight of the truck itself and payload that can't be exceeded.

Based on your VIN, yes you do have the standard 3.08 gearing in it.  

The owner's manual you saw is incorrect also.  GM had mis-published the tow ratings on trucks with the 3.08 gearing.  The correct tow rating for your truck CK15543 Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 with 5.3 and 3.08 gearing is 6,600lbs.  The Gross Combined Weight Rating or GCWR is 12,000lbs.  That is the total weight of truck and trailer that can't be exceeded.  

• Like 1

Something is weird about that door jamb sticker meaning the imported by Bisbee Importing, Inc. I assumed this vehicle was first registered in Canada and you bought it used in Michigan?  The Bisbee Importing website is confusing as it appears they're only into corporate data. I assume you arrived at the 3.08 gear ratio by reading the rpo code on the glove box door?

Edited by garagerog

Just now, garagerog said:

Something is weird about that door jamb sticker meaning the imported by Bisbee Importing, Inc. I assumed this vehicle was first registered in Canada and you bought it used in Michigan?  The Bisbee Importing website is confusing as it appears their only into corporate data. I assume you arrived at the 3.08 gear ratio by reading the rpo code on the glove box door?

His VIN build shows RPO code Z49 Canadian Market so it was indeed an ex Canadian that was imported back as a used truck at some point.  

• Like 1

Thank You Newdude and Garagerog!

So, I have a GM Truck not Capable of Towing the Rockwood that was made for Canada, wow.

And to think I sold my old 72 Ford that could have hauled just about anything, for this GM Truck, what a Shame.

Thank You Newdude and Garagerog!
So, I have a GM Truck not Capable of Towing the Rockwood that was made for Canada, wow.
And to think I sold my old 72 Ford that could have hauled just about anything, for this GM Truck, what a Shame.

I would think the dealer you bought the trailer from should have checked to see if your truck can handle it....unless it was private party.

Thanks m3n00b and Everyone,

I bought the trailer from a Private Party knowing that GM said I could tow 8500 pounds with my truck.

Not sure what I will do now. 

Not in the position to have another Truck payment and a trailer payment.

I bought the trailer because we are now raising 3 Grandchildren and thought Camping would be a good, positive experience from their sad past.

But, I Thank You All for your help.

Edited by James Beyer

Just reading through the thread and looked through the pdf on here and just spitballing here but wouldn't the problem be solved by throwing a new set of gears at it? 3.08s to 3.42s or even 3.73s would bump that rating up no? The ratios can be changed by swapping out gears in the front and rear differentials and the rest of the trucks are built the same...

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just reading through the thread and looked through the pdf on here and just spitballing here but wouldn't the problem be solved by throwing a new set of gears at it? 3.08s to 3.42s or even 3.73s would bump that rating up no? The ratios can be changed by swapping out gears in the front and rear differentials and the rest of the trucks are built the same...

This is a good idea but I'm not sure how the law would interpret this...if they even care.

Thank You VanguardK2,

That might be a great solution.

I read somewhere that the 5.3L with the 3.42 will tow 9000+, and 5.3L with 3.73 will tow 11,000+.  Not sure the cost, but cheaper than newer truck.

Thank You VanguardK2,

That might be a great solution.

I read somewhere that the 5.3L with the 3.42 will tow 9000+, and 5.3L with 3.73 will tow 11,000+.  Not sure the cost, but cheaper than newer truck.

Cost here in SoCal is about $2000 to have a shop regear a 4x4.

Well a regear is much better than trying to resell and getting something with a bad history or underlying problems due to lack of maintenance.

Regear is the way to go and yeah my 5.3 with 3.42s is rated for 9600.

The law could care less about that because it has no ecological impact for them to legislate against cause its not like removing a muffler (loud noise, disturbing peace or whatever) or removing at catalytic converter (enables emissions).

Regearing is 100 percent legal everywhere in the states. Never saw anything ever against regearing a vehicle. Its legal to do a LOT of mods to any vehicle. Engine swaps, transmission swaps, all sorts of stuff. Just not airbags, cat converters in most states and other safety/emissions stuff.

Hope this helps (I'm a dealership technician)not bragging, just saying if your wondering where I get my info from.

• Like 1