Stock Magnerides vs bilstein 6112

Hello everyone,  

I currently own a 2017 Silverado high country and my shocks are bad.  I am trying to decide wether to replace with stock magneride shocks or with the bilstein 6112‘s in the front and 5100’s in the rear.   I wanted to level out front with the 6112’s.  Anyone have any input?  

Edited by Familiarcar

2 hours ago, Familiarcar said:

Hello everyone,  

I currently own a 2017 Silverado high country and my shocks are bad.  I am trying to decide wether to replace with stock magnaride shocks or with the bilstein 6112‘s in the front and 5100’s in the rear.   I wanted to level out front with the 6112’s.  Anyone have any input?  

Welcome to the forum! 

For the price, I damn sure wouldn't put a MRC shock back on. I've admittedly done far too much research on this topic of front suspension :) the 6112s seems like a decent purchase. Here are some thoughts for you:

Pros:

• Rubber bushing on the bottom, stock assembly on the top - both of those help with NVH
  • Massive piston and overall volume
  • Decent price point
  • likely a softer, more linear spring (Bilstein says it's a 750# linear spring - stock is,...?? - probably higher)

Cons:

• Assembly required
  • reuse or buy new top hats
  • short stroke (slightly less than 4" - 101 mm)
  • IFP design - combine this with short stroke and it's got the potential of being quite stiff
  • price is pushing a dedicated entry level coilover

Other considerations:

• Digressive valving - some people don't like it. I'm one of those people. I've been burned by stiff, digressive shocks and they aren't forgiving at speeds under 35 MPH. 
  • Bilstein supplies OE-level quality and reliability. Then again, Rancho is on stock trucks, so maybe that doesn't mean anything.
  • I, personally, would do the 5160s in the rear. Those are rumored to be a better match valving-wise to the 6112. 
  • For about $1400 you can buy a fully custom Viking Coilover setup (including rears) from Atomic: https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product-category/cb/900cob/
    • This is the direction I'm leaning. I keep coming back full circle to having the adjustability on hand and also be able to change springs if need-be. If the Vikings ever take a dump, I already have custom brackets and will replace with custom valved Kings, Fox, Ridetech, you name it. 

Edited by lucas287

50 minutes ago, Familiarcar said:

Nice!  Since the stock shocks are electronic do I need to add anything when I put on Bilsteins? 

Unless you like warning lights and driving under 80 MPH, yes :)

There's two reputable ones I know of:

Xineering and Halo Lifts

The latter is cheaper but they're currently sold out.

There are other methods but they dont seem as legit to me.

18 minutes ago, lucas287 said:

Xineering and Halo Lifts

What is the part called?  Thanks so much

edit. Nvm I found it 

Edited by Familiarcar

35 minutes ago, lucas287 said:

Xineering and Halo Lifts

On the Xineering Kit, It doesn't specifically say its for Silverados but im assuming my high country is pretty much the Sierra Denali?

• Familiarcar changed the title to Stock Magnerides vs bilstein 6112
On 5/4/2021 at 8:03 PM, Familiarcar said:

On the Xineering Kit, It doesn't specifically say its for Silverados but im assuming my high country is pretty much the Sierra Denali?

I would assume it's the same, but ask them to be sure (http://xineering.com/index.html#CONTACT). They were AWESOME to work with on my Denali. Answered all my questions in a timely manner and made sure I was happy with the set up. Highly recommend Xineering's kit. I can also vouge for the Halo Lifts kit, I replaced all of my MRC system with their full kit and it's still going strong after 50k+ miles. Here's a review I did on my new wheel/suspension set up (at the time): 

I just installed the suspensionmax level kit made for magneride on my 17 Denali. It allows you to select the amount of lift you want. 1 to 2.5 inches. Also installed new magneride shocks at the same time...got the two fronts as a pair for $370 from Amazon. They are visually identical to the OEMs that I took out. Ride is great and no codes. Easy enough to do it yourself too as long as you have the tools.

Edited by cohibadream
  • Like 1

Gm screwed up the mag ride. I really have no idea what the hell they were thinking.

mag ride is nothing short if incredible in gm cars, but in a 5500lb truck/suv, terrible.

There is one main problem, and it’s feedback. You feel literally everything on the road. I’m pretty sure I could tell if I ran over a quarter. It’s really pretty annoying in a big truck that you just want to relax. It’s definitely more annoying than I thought it would be.

If you want the worlds best example, go drive an escalade and a navigator back to back