Browsing USB Audio

Hi all,

I am new to the forum; just purchased my 2021 Sierra 1500 Denali last week. I came across a great feature that I did not have in previous vehicles - I am able to listen to music from my WD Passport Ultra hard drive. To me, this is incredible, as I have about 15,000 songs stored.So, the issue I came across is that I can not access the folders on the drive when the truck is in motion - the "Browse" button is not activated. I understand that it is most likely a safety feature, but I can browse through AM/FM and Siruis stations without issue.

Does anyone have a way to override the default setting so I can browse freely while the truck is in motion?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Edited by 99NCAA
typo (as usual)

interesting...I don't know if were talking about the same feature or if it something different on the 21s but mine allows me to browse the USB drive contents and pick songs while driving. you can do it right on the DIC even using the steering wheel controls.

Thanks Kodiak... I called my salesman and he confirmed that browsing is turned off. He tried it on the sales manager's 21 Sierra with his personal USB drive.I just seems odd that it is not possible on USB but I can be distracted by browsing all the other audio options. I am thinking that there had to be a way to override it somewhere. Maybe I will reach out to GM to see what they have to say...

wow. so they removed it from 21s?

This is one of the reasons I'm leery of updates, I want bug fixes if there are problems, but I'm afraid of them adding these kind of "features" that actually take away things.

although, you really aren't missing much...the browse feature's interface is really not the best, and if you've got a folder with any number of files in it there's no way to quickly scroll through them. its actually rather difficult to find what you want even if theoretically it does allow you to browse. its only really useful if you have only a handful of tracks.

I'm curious, have you checked to see if the option to browse USB appears when your truck is stopped? how about in park and/or with the parking brake applied? I wonder if they removed the feature entirely or just while moving.

Yes. Browsing works when stopped or in park. Once you hit about 5MPH, the button is no longer "clickable". Voice control still works, so I can pick out songs from there. I will have to see if it will work with artist and/or albums.

Still tying to figure things out - learning something new every day!