Top Tier Gas a must for our Direct Injection Engines?

I know GM recommends Top Tier Gas for our direct injection engines. Is it a must or marketing to support the big oil companies? Do you run Top Tier 100%? Anyone running non top tier with high mileage? 

I bought my truck before thinking of a friend of mine with a VW DI. He had to periodically get the valves cleaned. It was a couple of years ago though and things change.

Just Bought a 1 ton with a 6.6L gas in it. I didn't realize this. Are you saying you are supposed to use premium with this motor you can't just run regular and go like every other gas motor in any standard truck that's been built since pretty much ever?  

1 hour ago, THE YETI said:

Just Bought a 1 ton with a 6.6L gas in it. I didn't realize this. Are you saying you are supposed to use premium with this motor you can't just run regular and go like every other gas motor in any standard truck that's been built since pretty much ever?  

Top Tier doesn't mean Premium. It means meets or exceeds US government standards for detergent type and amount. Not sure I've seen a non top tier in quite some time. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy-Mack said:

I know GM recommends Top Tier Gas for our direct injection engines. Is it a must or marketing to support the big oil companies? Do you run Top Tier 100%? Anyone running non top tier with high mileage? 

I bought my truck before thinking of a friend of mine with a VW DI. He had to periodically get the valves cleaned. It was a couple of years ago though and things change.

What oil you use has more effect on valve deposits than what fuel you use. Lower the NOACK the the API class the better and the lower the sulfated ash the better. 

The term sulfated ash relates to the amount of metallic elements in engine oils, which are mostly derived from the engine oil's detergent and anti-wear additive chemistry. These additive packages contain multiple components based on metals such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc. 

https://www.solverchem.com/articles/lubricating-oils-articles/what-is-sulfated-ash-in-engine-oils/details#:~:text=The term sulfated ash relates,%2C magnesium%2C zinc%2C etc.

Ok I misunderstood I suppose.  Came from the The Diesel site have read countless threads on that topic all involving Diesel oils before settling on Rotella and never looking back. I may save myself the headache and countless more hours of thread spirals  and find a suitable gas rotella. Or a mobile 1 and fill her up at my usual card lock location with regular as I intended initially.  From my brief browsing around I see you are a vet around here Grumpy Bear.   Thanks for the wisdom though.  Appreciated.

Edited by THE YETI
  • Like 2

I have never once went to a gas station and wondered if they sell top tier gasoline. I will fill up my truck anywhere expect the ghetto because I don't feel like being robbed at gun point.

• Haha 1

The list of participating stations is here.

The problem I see is just because they are on this list doesn't mean they have Top Tier fuel.  As from the site, "The TOP TIER™ logo must be prominently displayed."

The only station that I have seen that list it's fuel as Top Tier and puts it on the pump is Costco here in eastern NC.

It never hurts to run a quality fuel.  Over time it is a benefit.  But if you trade often then it really doesn't matter.

To me running a quality fuel means the best performance I can get out of my truck. 

In town it’s all Kroger’s gas. They sell a lot and discounts by shopping there. On trips name brands. Never had a problem and never add anything to the gas. Never any injection cleaning. Wife’s car at 10 years old and 110K miles. I had my last truck 12Years. And an Acura that’s driven once every two weeks. Bought new is 20 years old. All the manufacturers like to play on people’s fears. Same goes with oil changes. People blame oil when it’s the vehicle manufacturers.