Question- Adding Transmission Cooler, 2014 Silverado 5.3

Hey y’all, so this may have been answered before, but I can’t seem to find it. I’m adding a transmission cooler to our 2014 Silverado LT Z71 5.3 for towing our travel trailer. Which line on the radiator for the transmission is the out let (out of radiator back to transmission) line? I know I can torque brake it to find out but want to measure twice, cut once. Thanks in advance. 

If I remember right the top line is the one I took off when I used the transmission to pump out it's own fluid into a bucket during a fluid exchange.

Also remove the transmission line thermostat if you haven't. You'll see an easy 30-40 degree temp drop without even adding the cooler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

If I remember right the top line is the one I took off when I used the transmission to pump out it's own fluid into a bucket during a fluid exchange.

Also remove the transmission line thermostat if you haven't. You'll see an easy 30-40 degree temp drop without even adding the cooler.

Thank you. So I’m assuming that would make it the line out of transmission? Making the other line the out of radiator line 

i see no need for a cooler, just install a 170 t-stat in the motor, and pull out the tranny t-stat.   i just pulled a 4000lbs  trailer across the mojave desert this weekend, ambient temps was 109 degrees out there, I drove 150 miles @55mph the whole way,   and the trans temp sat at 145-156 F, i used 5th gear and towhaul and disabled grade braking. Easy Japanesy!

If you really want to add a cooler get the Max Tow package engine Radiator its bigger, and actually keeps up with the demand, I'm sure the trans cooler is also a nice upgrade if towing full time.

Edited by pokismoki

On 6/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, Dfair622 said:

Hey y’all, so this may have been answered before, but I can’t seem to find it. I’m adding a transmission cooler to our 2014 Silverado LT Z71 5.3 for towing our travel trailer. Which line on the radiator for the transmission is the out let (out of radiator back to transmission) line? I know I can torque brake it to find out but want to measure twice, cut once. Thanks in advance. 

The factory setup on a 5.3 2014 goes to the radiator then out to the aux cooler which is part of the AC condenser then back to the trans.

So you already have an aux. trans cooler.  I would do the thermostat flip or the Sure Cool delete first and see how it performs.  That alone should bring the temps down quite a bit.