Stereo and navigation fail while on vacation. Screaming for help!!!

I'm 12 hours from home with the family on vacation.

2016 Sierra SLE and up until this trip everything has worked correctly with connection to my phone.

Now I get a "Communication error 8" when I try plugging my phone in after a brief disconnect of the battery.

Bluetooth showed as available for just a moment and now I can't get it to connect.

I checked with the GMC dealership where I'm at and their response was to buy a new stereo or a new truck.

How can I reset or get the radio to work with my phone again?

3 minutes ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

I'm 12 hours from home with the family on vacation.

2016 Sierra SLE and up until this trip everything has worked correctly with connection to my phone.

Now I get a "Communication error 8" when I try plugging my phone in after a brief disconnect of the battery.

Bluetooth showed as available for just a moment and now I can't get it to connect.

I checked with the GMC dealership where I'm at and their response was to buy a new stereo or a new truck.

How can I reset or get the radio to work with my phone again?

If you are talking about the trucks battery, maybe disconnect it for a longer period of time to allow all components to completely discharge, then try it again.

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

If you are talking about the trucks battery, maybe disconnect it for a longer period of time to allow all components to completely discharge, then try it again.

I am disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for 30 minutes before trying this again. And result is the same I'm still not able to connect my phone to Android auto and the truck and getting a error screenshot included. I've tried three different cables.

Screenshot_20210615-164016.png

21 minutes ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

I am disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for 30 minutes before trying this again. And result is the same I'm still not able to connect my phone to Android auto and the truck and getting a error screenshot included. I've tried three different cables.

Screenshot_20210615-164016.png

How old is the battery in the truck?

When they start to fail, it will cause all kinds of weird electrical issues.

• Like 1

Did you check the date and time settings of your truck? including time zone?

it has to match your phone.

Communication Error 8

This means authentication failed between the car and the phone. This can happen when the date and time are set incorrectly in your vehicle’s display. Try the following:

• Park your car, unplug your phone, and go into your vehicle’s date or time settings.

• Set the date and time to the correct information. Check that your car radio has the correct time zone set up. If it allows time zone settings, check if your vehicle has winter or summer (daylight) setting and make sure it matches the setting on your phone.

• Reconnect your phone after confirming the new information is saved — you should be good to go!

• If it still doesn’t work, please ensure that Google Play Services is up to date  and try again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdallas said:

Did you check the date and time settings of your truck? including time zone?

it has to match your phone.

Communication Error 8

This means authentication failed between the car and the phone. This can happen when the date and time are set incorrectly in your vehicle’s display. Try the following:

• Park your car, unplug your phone, and go into your vehicle’s date or time settings.

• Set the date and time to the correct information. Check that your car radio has the correct time zone set up. If it allows time zone settings, check if your vehicle has winter or summer (daylight) setting and make sure it matches the setting on your phone.

• Reconnect your phone after confirming the new information is saved — you should be good to go!

• If it still doesn’t work, please ensure that Google Play Services is up to date  and try again.

I had manually set the time and then clicked for it to sync over cell network. No option for time zone.

I had turned the truck back on and connected the phone again and it's once again working.

Thank you all for your help!

The following includes what steps were required for mine to connect and work again1. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes

2. Remove the connection to my phone

3. Connect via Bluetooth

4. Set time and date, then select to sync automatically

5. Wait 10 minutes while the redio plays and the Bluetooth is on.

6. Turn truck off and on again. 

7 connected successfully via USB and android auto

Wheeeewww

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

I had manually set the time and then clicked for it to sync over cell network. No option for time zone.

I had turned the truck back on and connected the phone again and it's once again working.

Thank you all for your help!

The following includes what steps were required for mine to connect and work again1. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes

2. Remove the connection to my phone

3. Connect via Bluetooth

4. Set time and date, then select to sync automatically

5. Wait 10 minutes while the redio plays and the Bluetooth is on.

6. Turn truck off and on again. 

7 connected successfully via USB and android auto

Wheeeewww

Easier than you thought🤣😂

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

• Like 1