Travel trailer towing concerns

Hello all, I’ve got a 2015 Silverado CC 4x4 with the 5.3 and the basic tow package. Only mods are LT tires, CAI, and a 91 tune.

Wife and I got the camping bug and I’m going to pickup a Coleman Lantern LT 274BH this weekend 6 hours away. It’s 28 ft long, has a dry weight of 4700lbs, pin weight 582 lbs, and a gross weight rating of of 7600lbs. I don’t see how we’d ever load up the trailer to max capacity but who knows.

I did get the dealer to throw in and install a WD hitch with built in sway control before the drive back. I’ve done a lot of research and it seems most are worried about the payload before hitting the max tow. My yellow number on my drivers door jamb is 1700lbs. Is there anything I should be concerned about with towing this trailer?

Edited by Brett4289

2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Congratulations, but I think you bought way more trailer than your truck will be happy towing.

Hills and wind will make a not fun "white knuckle" drive home for 6 hours.

Do you mind explaining why my truck will not be happy towing a 4600 lb trailer?

1 hour ago, Brett4289 said:

Do you mind explaining why my truck will not be happy towing a 4600 lb trailer?

Think of it this way, you have an object behind you that is roughly 8 feet longer than your truck, and maybe 750 lbs. less.

Taking off will not be a big issue, use the tow/haul, but you will know it is back there, and will really remember it when you start to brake.

Can not imagine you will have a perfectly flat run there and back, so when you hit your first grade, that is when you will see the truck really start working hard, trying to hold a steady speed, and gear, without your foot to the floor.

Now, when you do your first trip out to camp, you will be adding your fresh water and gray tank supply, figure around 12 lbs. per gallon for each, propane will be around 4.5 lbs. per gallon, not sure how big your tanks are, your supplies in the trailer, food, liquids, clothes, cleaning supplies, etc.. Then you have to factor in how much weight you will have in your truck, driver, passengers, full take of gas, whatever is in the bed, all will reduce how much it will safely tow because you have decreased it's capabilities with the extra weight.

This time when you hit a grade, it will be the real test, to see how hard your truck works, especially if there is any wind involved, hopefully no strong side gusts, because once again, you have a 28 foot flat surface behind a 20 foot truck, trailer usually wins that battle.

Not saying your truck can't/or won't get the trailer from point A to B, just with the length of the trailer, I would personally feel a lot safer driving a 2500 crew with a long box because of the longer wheel base and stiffer suspension. 

Remember, RV dealerships are not experts on truck capacities, they are experts selling us something, whether it works or is even safe.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your new trailer!  I agree with Jim that the size of your new trailer will create more stress for you than the weight.  However, I believe you'll be fine as long as you drive accordingly.  Drive much slower and for shorter durations than without a trailer.  Be comfortable with being passed rather than the one passing!  Driving slow and steady will save significantly on gas and your sphincter!  You've got a good starter and If the RV lifestyle grabs hold of your family, you'll be all the wiser when shopping next time!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brett4289 said:

Hello all, I’ve got a 2015 Silverado CC 4x4 with the 5.3 and the basic tow package. Only mods are LT tires, CAI, and a 91 tune.

Wife and I got the camping bug and I’m going to pickup a Coleman Lantern LT 274BH this weekend 6 hours away. It’s 28 ft long, has a dry weight of 4700lbs, pin weight 582 lbs, and a gross weight rating of of 7600lbs. I don’t see how we’d ever load up the trailer to max capacity but who knows.

I did get the dealer to throw in and install a WD hitch with built in sway control before the drive back. I’ve done a lot of research and it seems most are worried about the payload before hitting the max tow. My yellow number on my drivers door jamb is 1700lbs. Is there anything I should be concerned about with towing this trailer?

My set up is a 28' camper (hitch to bumper is 32')but my camper weighs 7500 pounds when loaded.  Don't worry, it is not as bad as some say.

Yes, the 28' box behind you will act as a wind sail. Yes, a bigger truck would be better.  If you take it slow and steady, you will be fine.  Just pay close attention to your trailer and be ready to resolve any excess away immediately.

As a side note, I always boondock so I travel with full tanks and my trailer handles a lot better with the extra weight down low.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like any other info.

• Like 1

Proper hitch set up is key. 

Weigh your truck without the trailer first.

Weigh your truck with the weight distribution not engaged.

Weigh your truck with the weight distribution engaged.

Adjust hitch as needed.

Read the directions, and know how to do this yourself, bring appropriate tools to make the adjustments. The dealer will not likely do this correctly.

Drive like a sane person. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

Proper hitch set up is key. 

Weigh your truck without the trailer first.

Weigh your truck with the weight distribution not engaged.

Weigh your truck with the weight distribution engaged.

Adjust hitch as needed.

Read the directions, and know how to do this yourself, bring appropriate tools to make the adjustments. The dealer will not likely do this correctly.

Drive like a sane person. 

Excellent info. Here is a site that explains what to do:

https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/

• 2 weeks later...

I tow a 28' (32' overall length) trailer that is 6700lbs dry with a 2018 Silverado LT 5.3 Crew Cab, 6-speed without any kind of factory tow package. I wish I had the lower rear end gear the max-tow package trucks come with. I never tow more than ~5 gallons of water in it. It's alot to tow, but keeping it around 65-68mph and a proper WDH + AirLift 5000 it's fine. I've towed it ~750 miles each way to the beach twice, once through the mountains in TN/NC. The mountains were nerve racking, but it handled it OK.

The only concern I've had with my setup is transmission temps when its hot outside in stop and go traffic. They can get up to ~220ish. I'm going to look into adding an auxillary trans temp cooler. 

Edited by jthoske