2018 6L80 into 2008?

Hello All! First time poster! My names Jordan. I have a 2008 Escalade AWD. I’m aware this is the wrong thread, any MOD if you want to move it please do! I just don’t know where to ask this!

I blew the tranny in my Escalade. 6L80..

I found one out of a 2018 Suburban! Will this work!? Its a 6L80 as well

thank you!

It's not a direct swap. The TCM in that newer transmission will not work. The TCM is built into the valve body, so that whole thing from your transmission would have to swapped over. But if you blew up your transmission it sent trash through the valve body which is not good and now it's basically junk.

This is where things can get complicated. If the TCM's between those two years are different part numbers then it's possible you can't even program an older file into a newer TCM. It may require a TCM made for a specific model/year range. So that would be another cost on top of the transmission price.

It might just be best to buy a new GM unit for $3000ish dollars or find the correct used unit that is known to fit.

On either route you take you will have to have it towed to a dealership so that the PCM and TCM can be flashed with a GM tool so that both operating systems match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roccafellas said:

Hello All! First time poster! My names Jordan. I have a 2008 Escalade AWD. I’m aware this is the wrong thread, any MOD if you want to move it please do! I just don’t know where to ask this!

I blew the tranny in my Escalade. 6L80..

I found one out of a 2018 Suburban! Will this work!? Its a 6L80 as well

thank you!

How did it "blow", what is wrong with it?

Check LKQOnline for transmissions for your truck that fit, any 2007-2014 6L80 out of an AWD Escalade or Yukon Denali will work, inluding the ESV and XL.  They must be programmed to your VIN via Tech-2 and the Service Learn Adapts performed.  GM dealerships have brand new ones for about $5k installed that come with a 100K nationwide warranty.

I’m actually a mechanic in Sudbury Ontario Canada..

i leave for trade school in Toronto in two weeks and I have limited time. I was really hoping the 18’ would fit. My boss has the software to flash anything if needed. I’m glad at least any 6l80 until 14 works then. That gives me a few more options. 

And as for your question of HOW it blew, it started off no reverse when hot. Now I drive and if I get it hot enough it will get locked into 2nd gear and just rev up. I’ll have to pull over let it cool and then limo home.. and when it does this. The manual-/+ does not work.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:17 AM, Roccafellas said:

Do ya’ll think it could just be a bad valve body? 

I'd want to see the codes but it sure sounds like it.  Don't get a Dorman, too many returns.  You can rebuild the solenoids in your valve body on the kitchen table for about $110 plus fluids.  Sonnax makes an excellent kit that's on Amazon.