2018 Chevy Silverado rear end clunk

1 hour ago, 18ltz19 said:

I have an 18’ Silverado that makes a rear end clunk when driving over bumps and when i shake the truck side to side. Took it to the dealership twice, they told me truck was fine nothing to worry about. anyone else’s truck do this? 

Any other dealers close by you can take it too? You can go anywhere you like (Chevy Dealer), you have no obligation to where you bought it, especially if they choose not to help you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Any other dealers close by you can take it too? You can go anywhere you like (Chevy Dealer), you have no obligation to where you bought it, especially if they choose not to help you.

Yeah I’ve taken it twice to the same dealership never again going to my local Chevy dealership. First time i received the truck i looked under my u bolts were lose. Took it back in told them it was loose. They told me they would tighten the u bolts never did had to tighten them myself 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steelerdude15 said:

It’s more than likely the leaf springs. They are an issue with this gen. Even if the pads on the springs are replaced, the clunking will come back after a few days. I would assume aftermarket leaf springs would really fix the issue.

Recommend any aftermarket brand? It’s lifted 7in and is sitting on 33x12.5x22

698437DC-ED9B-472F-B5E5-DCBF7B1FF5B0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:18 PM, steelerdude15 said:

That’s a good question. I’m not sure either. I’ve looked into other brands, but haven’t decided on which ones to get. 

I had the Zone rear spring lift installed by a reputable after market installer.
They had to take the rear springs apart to install the spring lift, and put in a 1" Motfab lift block. The lift block and spring lift required new
rear spring U-bolts and they were torqued down properly.
No issues on my end.
https://zoneoffroad.com/products/add-a-leaf-kit-1999-2018-chevroletgmc-1500-trucks?variant=39431600799832

IMG_0386.jpg.d6aaa54ab2af674ec3cd52890f435cda.jpg

https://motofablifts.com/i-30558223-1-rear-leveling-lift-kit-for-2007-2019-chevy-silverado-sierra-gmc.html

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, 18ltz19 said:

I have an 18’ Silverado that makes a rear end clunk when driving over bumps and when i shake the truck side to side. Took it to the dealership twice, they told me truck was fine nothing to worry about. anyone else’s truck do this? 

My 18 recently started making the same clunking noise that my 15 did about a year after I got it.  Once again, the pads on the leaf springs are rubbing and making the noise.  I put some rubber gasket that you can buy for plumbing between the leaf spring pads on my 18 like I did on my 15, noise stopped immediately.  4 squares of 2x2" fixes the noise and its cheap.  If you have a Menards in your area, this is what I bought.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/faucet-repair/o-rings-faucet-washers/danco-reg-6-x-6-rubber-faucet-packing-sheets/9d00059849/p-1444428632074-c-8544.htm?tid=5481916453192241071&ipos=88

On 8/29/2021 at 11:02 AM, 18ltz19 said:

Recommend any aftermarket brand? It’s lifted 7in and is sitting on 33x12.5x22

698437DC-ED9B-472F-B5E5-DCBF7B1FF5B0.jpeg

100% Deaver or Atlas. 

Here's a link to Atlas' site:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/atlassuspension1991/atlas-leaf-springs_modified/performance-leaf-springs/chevygmc-performance-leaf-springs/1973-1979-k20k2500-suburban-4x4/2007-2013-silveradosierra-1500-performance-rear-springs

• 2 years later...

Bought a 1/8 inch recycled rubber sheet from Amazon for less than $3 and cut into strips as wide as the leaf springs. Slid into the gap and pried open the leaf to get the rubber strip closest to  connection to the other leaf.  Zip tied the strip to the spring and it was like a light switch.  No noise. No clunk.