is X31 Package on 2022 GMC 2500 worth it??

is the X31 Package on 2022 GMC 2500 worth it?? I know its a Z71 for GMC, just curious as to see if it's worth the $900 add on. Wanting to order this week but want to get all I need. Coming from a Ford F250 diesel. Ready to get back to my GMC's.  Wanting the 2022 GMC 2500 SLE, getting the SLE value and convenience packages. Just seeing what else I may need? Wanting to stay under a budget if possible. THANKS

Eh.  You get Ranchos which people love/hate.  You can still do RPO NZZ skid plates without X31 (which comes with NZZ skid plates).  The high capacity air filter RPO code K47 is standard on HD so no change there.  

The one thing you CAN'T get without getting X31 is Hill Descent Control.  I have used it all of one time in mine on a 1/4 mile driveway up like a 20+ degree mountain hill.  Great low speed off road down hill control, but if you never go on such a road, you won't miss it.  Works up to 14mph and uses the ABS module and pump to regulate downhill control.  

I would probably place the transfer case as a more priority option over X31.  On all 4x4/X31 you get the standard 2 speed case (2HI, 4HI and 4LO).  You can option on all 4x4/X31 trucks to the AutoTrac transfer case which is the 2 speed plus AUTO mode (2HI, 4HI, 4LO and AUTO).  This is the same system as the 1500s, and the first time its been offered in the HD trucks.  And I think its only a $200 option too.  

The AUTO feature is quite nice in the 1500s on those light snow/slushy days when you want added traction but don't need to be in 4HI at all times.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, Gabe Bunn said:

yes, I have heard the Autotrac 2 speed transfer case was a good option for the $200.  Was definitely getting it for the $

One of the main reasons I traded my 2021 Silverado 2500 Custom for a 2022 AT4 HD was the Autotrac. I also got Leather, console, push button start, heated steering wheel, Heated/cooled seats and more. 

Edited by AUTOGUY

From order guide:

2022 GMC 2500

X31   X31 Off-Road Package, includes (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) skid plates, Off-Road suspension, Twin-tube Rancho shocks and X31 hard badge
1 - Requires 4WD model and AT tires. Includes (QXT) LT265/70R17E all-terrain, blackwall tires. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.
2 - Requires 4WD model and AT tires. Includes (QXT) LT265/70R17E all-terrain, blackwall tires. Included with (RFX) X31 Off-Road and Protection Package. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.
3 - Requires 4WD model and AT tires. Included with (RFX) X31 Off-Road and Protection Package. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.

1 = base sierra

2 = SLE

3 = SLT

X31 Off-Road Package, includes (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) skid plates, Off-Road suspension and Twin-tube Rancho shocks

Standard  on AT4 and Denali 

You'll have to decide if it's worth it -- to you.

Additional info:

JHD Hill Descent Control
1 - Included and only available with (X31) X31 Off-Road Suspension Package.

1= Base/SLE/SLT

Std on AT4 and Denali (since X31 is standard on those trims)

No RPO listed but

Suspension, Off-Road, includes twin-tube shocks
1 - Included and only available with (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.

Same trim info as the others

Can be ordered on it's own if desired

NZZ   Skid Plates, protect the oil pan, front axle and transfer case
1 - Included with (X31) X31 Off-Road Package or (VYU) Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package.

Same trim info for note 1

If I were ordering one built, I would have the package.  Did not see if it was mentioned, but the z71 package on my truck, also included the weather tech floor mats.  Did not get the autotrac transfer case, if I had ordered one I would have also had that option.  It was so difficult just finding our truck last year, was happy when I found mine. I bought it a week before it was delivered to the dealer, 500 miles away.