2021 Sierra Denali Air Conditioner issues

I have a 2021 Sierra Denali with about 7,000 miles on it. During long trips on hot days (80+) after about an hour of highway driving my air conditioner starts to blow warmer air and the force of airflow diminishes to the point where there is very little flow temps inside the vehicle are about the same as outside 80+. Seems like it is freezing up, the dealer could not find anything wrong and could not reproduce it. I did reproduce it and drove to the dealer they witnessed it and I have an appointment next week. Anyone else having this issue?

My 2021 Denali starts to blow warm air after about 5-10 minutes of driving it then goes back to cold air. This normally happy on 90+ degree days. I have an appointment next Friday on this. The weather is starting to get cooler which probably means it’s hard to reproduce… it is noticeable for at least a few minutes. I had a 2020 SLT 5.3 and never had this issue. I don’t want this turning into a bigger problem later as I have seen the entire inside ripped apart on other posts to fix this problem. Anyone else having the inconsistent A/C issue?

• 1 year later...

I have a 2024 Sierra Denali HD.  It has less than 1K miles.  You described EXACTLY what happened to me on this past July 4th on a trip to Pigeon Forge.

Did you ever get your issue resolved.   Luckily I took a picture of frozen AC pipes under the hood but dealer still can't find the problem.

2 hours ago, athompson99 said:

I have a 2024 Sierra Denali HD.  It has less than 1K miles.  You described EXACTLY what happened to me on this past July 4th on a trip to Pigeon Forge.

Did you ever get your issue resolved.   Luckily I took a picture of frozen AC pipes under the hood but dealer still can't find the problem.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, athompson99.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with the AC not working properly on your 2024 GMC Sierra Denali. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: athompson99/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2023 GMC 3500 Denali that the A/C hasn’t worked since day 1 we’re assuming. We purchased it during the winter months in Indiana so we never even thought to check the A/C when going over the vehicle at time of purchase. It’s been brutal all summer as we’ve only had been able to get it in to the dealership one time. The replaced the AC compressor I believe is what they said. IT LASTED 10 MILES.  We have to have this truck weekly to move our equipment so getting it in to a dealer is hard to accomplish as we move from one town to the next weekly. 

My understanding is that once the compressor fails there are other parts of the system that must be cleaned out and the condenser replaced. I would go over the work order to see what parts were charged out. They may have just thrown a compressor on it instead of doing the job correctly. I wouldnt deal with anyone but the service manager at this point. These AC systems arent exactly rocket science, it just requires a thorough repair.  

I have a 2023 1500 Denali Ultimate - just took it on a trip about 2 hours away and spent the last hour and a half on the return trip in 97 degree temp with no A/C.  Have my first appointment to get it checked on Thursday, but a little concerned this is a systemic problem with these trucks, and getting it fixed properly is tricky …  is there a reference number I can provide the dealer to ensure they are aware of the failures and the proper remediation?

I went to Stoops GMC in Muncie Indiana and they told me it would cost $200 to look at out 2023 GMC 3500 Denali Dually as it has 39k miles on it and was “No longer covered” under warranty even though we had the truck looked at and supposedly repaired prior to the warranty ending at 36k. When I called GM customer service, they notified me that I would have to take the vehicle back to the same shop that done the repair prior to the warranty expiring. Under normal circumstances this would not be an issue. However, this truck is used on a Carnival that travels around the Midwest. I let the lady know that it was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way to the dealership from where we was at. I did not feel like that was something feasible for us to do. My thinking is if we spend 100 K on a truck we shouldn’t have to miss two days of work to take that truck to the shop and then pick that truck back up from that shop. I did not understand how GM has all of these dealerships, but yet they won’t stand behind their product that they sell. We currently have two 3500 HD Chevy/GMC trucks. One’s a 2019 the other one is a 2023 along with having other GM products for personal use. We were looking at purchasing two more 3500s but we are now going to explore other options from other makes due to the way that GM has handled this issue. Sorry for the long rant I just don’t think that it is right for a customer to pay that kind of money for a vehicle and it be documented that there are issues with it and they expect you to drive five hours round-trip to take that vehicle to a certain shop. Period a GM dealership should stand behind a GM product.

11 hours ago, Daniel hughes said:

I went to Stoops GMC in Muncie Indiana and they told me it would cost $200 to look at out 2023 GMC 3500 Denali Dually as it has 39k miles on it and was “No longer covered” under warranty even though we had the truck looked at and supposedly repaired prior to the warranty ending at 36k. When I called GM customer service, they notified me that I would have to take the vehicle back to the same shop that done the repair prior to the warranty expiring. Under normal circumstances this would not be an issue. However, this truck is used on a Carnival that travels around the Midwest. I let the lady know that it was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way to the dealership from where we was at. I did not feel like that was something feasible for us to do. My thinking is if we spend 100 K on a truck we shouldn’t have to miss two days of work to take that truck to the shop and then pick that truck back up from that shop. I did not understand how GM has all of these dealerships, but yet they won’t stand behind their product that they sell. We currently have two 3500 HD Chevy/GMC trucks. One’s a 2019 the other one is a 2023 along with having other GM products for personal use. We were looking at purchasing two more 3500s but we are now going to explore other options from other makes due to the way that GM has handled this issue. Sorry for the long rant I just don’t think that it is right for a customer to pay that kind of money for a vehicle and it be documented that there are issues with it and they expect you to drive five hours round-trip to take that vehicle to a certain shop. Period a GM dealership should stand behind a GM product.

With those kind of miles and use, an extended warranty would be purchased from the get go for me. Belly up to the bar and pay. 

When you have it fixed under warranty and it last 10 miles? When it was documented there was an issue well before warranty expired? So we should “belly up to the bar” when we purchase something, the issue was documented, the repair attempt was made, but not successful, there seems to be plenty of issues with the AC going out on brand new vehicles are in because it by the extended warranty? But if repair attempt was made, and unsuccessful and notated prior to the manufactures warranty expiring, they still should not have to stand behind the work? So in your eyes, please class action lawsuits that happen should never happen? Unless they buy the extended warranty? So the thousands of people that have vehicles with the paint peeling off of them better 2014 to 2019 should just belly up to the bar? Like I said before I personally believe in a company should stand behind its product. The air conditioning should not go out in eight months. That’s just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Daniel hughes said:

When you have it fixed under warranty and it last 10 miles? When it was documented there was an issue well before warranty expired? So we should “belly up to the bar” when we purchase something, the issue was documented, the repair attempt was made, but not successful, there seems to be plenty of issues with the AC going out on brand new vehicles are in because it by the extended warranty? But if repair attempt was made, and unsuccessful and notated prior to the manufactures warranty expiring, they still should not have to stand behind the work? So in your eyes, please class action lawsuits that happen should never happen? Unless they buy the extended warranty? So the thousands of people that have vehicles with the paint peeling off of them better 2014 to 2019 should just belly up to the bar? Like I said before I personally believe in a company should stand behind its product. The air conditioning should not go out in eight months. That’s just my opinion. 

So I missed your earlier post. The dealer that did the repair under warranty and was paid for said repair by gm is the only dealer that'll take that failed repair on. GM isn't going to pay another dealer to fix a screwed up repair. T h e original dealer has to fix it and GM will not reimburse them for the add'l work. That's why you were told to get it back to them. Breaking in 10 miles, I'd have turned around right then and taken it back. Or, if your time is more valuable than going back....

Oh,the only person a class action lawsuit helps is the lawyer.... 

When ever you have to use that vehicle to move equipment so you don’t default on a contract that would cost you tens of thousands of dollars. Yes you keep going. and the class action lawsuit helps the consumer as well. If a manufacturer puts defective material or a defective part on anything that they sell, then yes, they should be held accountable. And if more companies would stand up and do the right thing ever would be a class action lawsuit because there would be  no reason for one. And please understand that this is just my personal experience, and my personal opinion as to how it should’ve been handled. I do not know the ends in the outs of what it takes to run a dealership, nor will I pretend to know, or understand what it takes to run one. we will get the air conditioning fixed, even if it’s out of our own pocket and we will also take this experience into consideration whenever we purchase a few more trucks.