Installing pulley help.

Long story short I don't think I pressed my power steering pulley all the way onto the pump shaft, I can tell after letting the motor idle for a bit, first project I've used this tool. I bottomed out the stud of install tool and cranked the press part down til I felt like it bottomed out on threads which took awhile. So with my current situation of it needing to be pressed just a little more I have a question. At the point I felt the press part bottom out on threads, should I just back the stud bolt out a bit and keep pressing? Just want to make sure as I busted the threads of the first tool by not  cleaning out the threads of the pump shaft and don't want to have any other hiccups lol. Thanks!

a better way would be to find some washers a little bigger than the pump shaft. not sure what tool you are using? the 1 supplied with the new pump? Autozone and Advanced have free tool loaner programs and will have the installation tool that you need. the pump shaft should protrude from the pulley about 1/8 inch

not sure without seeing the tool, I have a Snap On 1 that will press it on too far if you're not careful. your idea of backing it out a little should work as long as you are careful not to so u dont pull the threads.

That's what I'm worried about lol. I was also wondering, at some point does the pulley just get harder to press on when it's almost all the way on? I just stopped at the point where it was going to take more force to turn the wrench then it did to get it to that point. I'm going to try and finish getting it on all the way today. Is it a bad idea to try to finish pressing it on while the belt is on the pulley with tension?

its possible there is a burr on the end of the pulley making it harder. I assume you inspected the pump shaft, cleaned it and used some lube. if you hammered on the end of the pulley that would explain it 

I did have to clean out the threads pretty good after I removed the pulley. I learned that lesson after ruining the first install tool lol. I did lube it up with wd40 when reinstalling pulley. When I got got home yesterday I just lubed it up with some wd40 again and cranked it on the rest of the way with the belt on. Went on no problem, just had to realign the belt a little. Thanks for your help!