Which is the better purchase? 1500 or 2500

Hello, I am looking to get opinions on a used pick up truck purchase.

I recently moved out to a rural part of the county.  I need a pick up truck for general tasks that include hauling firewood, drywall/lumber runs from the home improvement store, towing a 6x12 trailer with ATV’s on it, etc.  I will not be snow plowing, hauling larger trailers or heavy items, or doing true “heavy duty” type work with the truck.  I just need something that will last another 100k miles with no major problems or failures.  I am the type of owner that is strict on maintenance, so I do not anticipate surprises, but you all might know certain issues for the model years.

Is a ½ ton or ¾ ton truck better suited for me?

The trucks I am looking at are the 3rd generation Silverado. A 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 and a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD to be specific.  Along with the tasks I mentioned above, this truck will also be my daily driver.  My daily commute to work is a 60 mile round trip, 5 days per week. The breakdown is 30 miles city driving and 30 miles interstate.

Fuel economy is one of more important things to me. I know with these trucks I won’t be seeing outstanding fuel economy numbers, but as $4/gal + gasoline prices are on the way, it’s hard for me to totally look beyond my annual fuel cost.  Fuelly.com shows the average 2018 1500 MPG at 16.3 average 2016 2500HD MPG at 13.6.  A friend of mine has a 2016 1500 and does a lot of highway traveling and claims to get 22 MPG since the motor deactivates 4 cylinders when cruising.

Here are the specifics of each truck.  I am hoping for information about whether the engines, transmissions, other drive line components, odd annoying things, etc. will happen given the specific model years.

Which truck would provide a longer life?

2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 (4X4 Z71)  - 75,000 miles

Engine: Vortec 5.3L (ECOTEC3) with Active Fuel Management    355 HP, 383 LB-FT torque

Transmission: Hydra-Matic 8L90 (8 speed)

Gearing Ratio:  3.42

Towing Capacity: 9,000 – 10,000 lbs

GVWR: 7,200 LBS

Payload: 2,000 LBS (approximately)

Fuel tank:  26  gal

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (4X4 Z71) – 110,000 miles

Engine: Vortec 6.0L V-8 (L96 / LC8)    360 HP, 380 LB-FT torque

Transmission: Hydra-Matic 6L90 (6 speed)

Gear Ratio: 4.10

Towing Capacity: 13,000 LBS

GVWR: 9,500 LBS

Payload: 3,000 LBS (approximately)

Fuel tank:  36 gal

Edited by TheSJHL
Spelling

I would be looking at a 1/2 ton if I were you. Probably the top one. 

I don't know how much your ATVs weigh and if you are traveling very far/what kind of drive it is towing but if you are gas price conscious I would maybe take a gander at a V6.

1500's have weak trannies, AFM and Direct injection,

2500's better brakes, better brake bias, no AFM, no Direct injection,  a tad rougher ride, the transmissions are better too, better torque curve on the 6.0 than the high revving 5.3., tuning them is cheaper also

Edited by pokismoki

1 hour ago, TheSJHL said:

A friend of mine has a 2016 1500 and does a lot of highway traveling and claims to get 22 MPG since the motor deactivates 4 cylinders when cruising.

I call BS on this- no way he averages that over a long term. For a trip, sure. But there are too many variables to compare to others MPG, we don't know the weather, wind, grade, tires, speed, etc.

My best tank ever was 22 mpg, cruise set at 70 driving across Iowa in summer. My Hwy Average is in the 18-19 range, and closer to 15-16 in city. I log on a per-tank basis.

I have a 1500 with v8, 3.42 gears, 6 spd tranny. There is nothing you listed I wouldn't be more than comfortable doing with my truck. And you have 2 extra gears which will only help you.

There is no way I'd daily drive a 2500 unless its for work.

• Like 1