Chains and the 275/65 R20

So, my state requires you carry chains in winter in on Mountain passes.  The manual says nope for this tire size, but I can find nothing thst would not clear a class s chain or even truck chains on thr rear.  It has more clearance than most vehicles. Has anyone done it or seen an actual problem?  Due to the weight I don't think "socks" are allowed BTW.

4 hours ago, MikeMikeMike said:

So, my state requires you carry chains in winter in on Mountain passes.  The manual says nope for this tire size, but I can find nothing thst would not clear a class s chain or even truck chains on thr rear.  It has more clearance than most vehicles. Has anyone done it or seen an actual problem?  Due to the weight I don't think "socks" are allowed BTW.

Are you referring to the signs posted on WA mountain passes that state something like this:  "Vehicles over 10,000 GVWR must carry chains at all times"?  This sign is directed at large cargo trucks... think semi-tractor/trailers.  Furthermore if you have 4WD and M&S rated tires you never have to use chains.  I suggest you search the WA DOT website for official information and regulations. 

• Like 1

Nwstver,  I have seen WSP talk to every driver and check chains even in 4wd.

WAC 204-24-050 (A)Exception for all wheel drive vehicles. When "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles will be exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices as specified in WAC  204-24-040 provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle.

15 hours ago, MikeMikeMike said:

Nwstver,  I have seen WSP talk to every driver and check chains even in 4wd.

WAC 204-24-050 (A)Exception for all wheel drive vehicles. When "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles will be exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices as specified in WAC  204-24-040 provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle.

Mike-cubed,

Good search and information.  Get a cheap set of chains with packaging that indicates they fit your rear tire size and you're golden.  I recall that Les Schwab Tires in the past will buy back unused chains for your original purchase price at the end of snow season.  Or if you believe you will actually need to use chains such as for a freezing rain/ice storm event,  see if cable chains are available.  It seems likely (to me at anyrate) that cable chains will fit rear wheels without interference. Let us know how you decide to go. 

if you do need chains. Do some research or call one of the retailers. HD trucks and especially the new powerful diesels will destroy normal truck chains and likely your truck. The right chains are a lot cheaper than a fender, ripping off brake lines, etc

Mike-cubed -- A google search turned up Tirechain.com.   Lots of good information and a very wide range of products.  Prices seem high but OTOH  I haven't bought tire chains in several decades with the advent of AWD.  I did note they sell cable chains for LT tires. 

As for the caution above that new diesels will destroy "normal truck" chains, I suppose so if one is stupid enough to apply excessive accelerator inputs.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NWStever said:

Mike-cubed -- A google search turned up Tirechain.com.   Lots of good information and a very wide range of products.  Prices seem high but OTOH  I haven't bought tire chains in several decades with the advent of AWD.  I did note they sell cable chains for LT tires. 

As for the caution above that new diesels will destroy "normal truck" chains, I suppose so if one is stupid enough to apply excessive accelerator inputs.  

“I suppose if one is stupid” the most powerful GM 1500 motor has 460ft.-lbs vs the L5P at 910ft.-lbs @ 1600rpms. I guess you idle everywhere during winter weather? Limiting the use of your truck by buying light truck tire chains is also a great idea. Just stay off the skinny pedal. 😂😂😂