In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Need help please...

On 11/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, asilverblazer said:

Do you have to use the spray to keep it running? Will it run on its own once it is started?

Can you confirm fuel pressure at the test port?

Yes it starts when I spray starting fluid,havnt cchecked the pressure though.but has a new fuel pump

When you stop spraying the starting fluid does it die?

Really sounds like no fuel from the injectors.

A fuel pressure gauge on the test port would answer a bunch of questions. 

Cycle the key from off to run a few times, then kit the schrader valve, fuel should spray out (not dribble). If it doesn't the new fuel pump isn't pumping. Check power to pump or lines for blockage. 

Make sure the lines are clear between the pump and filter and filter and fuel rail. 

Incorrect key shuts down fuel delivery too.

Hey Thanks for the help! I've did all of that also. It's sprayed out great at the valve. I've also listened to each injector to see if they were getting fire, and I think th y are. I heard a click on each one of them. So do you have any ideas what to check? Could it be a Circuit or something like that? It's also got a new air filter. And again thanks for the help! I appreciate you..!

On 11/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, asilverblazer said:

Do you have to use the spray to keep it running? Will it run on its own once it is started?

Can you confirm fuel pressure at the test port?

Yes it starts when I spray starting fluid,havnt cchecked the pressure though.but has a new fuel pump

Did it run before with the key you are using? (I can't remember how the theft deterrent shuts down fuel - it could be commanding the injectors off)

Fuel pump is pressurizing the rail, that's why you can get a spray of fuel at the test port. Need to put a pressure gauge on it to see where that pressurized fuel is going  or not going or if it strong enough. 

Ignition is working otherwise it wouldn't run on starting fluid. 

Compressions is probably okay as well as air intake because it wouldn't run on starting fluid with out those. 

It sounds like again you are running it on starting fluid because fuel isn't getting into the cylinders. I would recommend swapping the starting fluid for gasoline in a squirt bottle and see that it continues to run.

What was the lead up to the problem(s)? 

Don't bother checking fuel pressure its clearly is not getting fuel.

check the fuel pump relay. And if all is good load test the power and ground with a head light bulb at the tank to make sure you have power and ground. And yes use a headlight bulb. headlight bulb draws more amps then a tradition test light 

1 hour ago, asilverblazer said:

Did it run before with the key you are using? (I can't remember how the theft deterrent shuts down fuel - it could be commanding the injectors off)

Fuel pump is pressurizing the rail, that's why you can get a spray of fuel at the test port. Need to put a pressure gauge on it to see where that pressurized fuel is going  or not going or if it strong enough. 

Ignition is working otherwise it wouldn't run on starting fluid. 

Compressions is probably okay as well as air intake because it wouldn't run on starting fluid with out those. 

It sounds like again you are running it on starting fluid because fuel isn't getting into the cylinders. I would recommend swapping the starting fluid for gasoline in a squirt bottle and see that it continues to run.

What was the lead up to the problem(s)? 

It acted Like it was out of gas,I'm going to try what you said with the gasoline And I'm also gonna check to see if I have water in my guest And again thanks for the help!

3 minutes ago, Kyle Ross said:

check the fuel pump relay. And if all is good load test the power and ground with a head light bulb at the tank to make sure you have power and ground. And yes use a headlight bulb. headlight bulb draws more amps then a tradition test light 

Ok, Thanks..

You didn't say if you bought a new fuel pressure regulator so I am assuming you did not? If you want to do a quick $40 check you could go buy a new FPR and see if that fixes your issues.

If you had access to a scan tool I believe that it would tell you if it is some sort of VATS issue like if the truck was not reading the key properly and causing 

Edited by txab

Kragen's and AutoZone will lend you a fuel pressure gage to test the pressure at the rail. 

for background,

1) What made you put a new fuel pump in the truck. (might be a stupid question to you but its not to the people that are helping)?

2) is this truck new to you?

3) if its not new to you, what, if any, changes did you make?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kyle Ross said:

Its not getting (any or enough) fuel into the cylinders. It is getting fuel to the rail, unknown if it is of sufficient pressure. OP noted that fuel is spraying out the test port. 

ok you guys are way over thinking this. even if its not getting fuel or not enough fuel. load test the wires going to the pump is gonna tell you both. if you don't have a solid power and ground at the pump you may only have 5 psi. if you don't have  power or ground you might have a relay problem or wiring problem. either way you have to verify the circuit. if you have a high amp head light bulb and it lights up bright i can tell you that pump is junk. but if its dim you have a wiring issue (high resistance wire) fuel pump takes a lot of amps to run them. you cant use an led test light or a multimeter. But i will state this if you do have a good power and ground at the pump it wouldn't hurt taking a fuel sample to make sure there isn't water in the tank. but that fact that you can spray break clean in the throttle body and you can keep it running is telling me the cylinders are not flooded out. i can supply wire diagrams if need be. 

47 minutes ago, Kyle Ross said:

ok you guys are way over thinking this. even if its not getting fuel or not enough fuel. load test the wires going to the pump is gonna tell you both. if you don't have a solid power and ground at the pump you may only have 5 psi. if you don't have  power or ground you might have a relay problem or wiring problem. either way you have to verify the circuit. if you have a high amp head light bulb and it lights up bright i can tell you that pump is junk. but if its dim you have a wiring issue (high resistance wire) fuel pump takes a lot of amps to run them. you cant use an led test light or a multimeter. But i will state this if you do have a good power and ground at the pump it wouldn't hurt taking a fuel sample to make sure there isn't water in the tank. but that fact that you can spray break clean in the throttle body and you can keep it running is telling me the cylinders are not flooded out. i can supply wire diagrams if need be. 

Respectfully, I think it would be easier to confirm pump by checking the fuel pressure at the rail. Then begin diagnosing the pump wiring if fault is found with pressure.

• Like 1