Waiting for Update Media Screen

Silva

I got the below message on my screen last night. Started the truck up but the screen remained black. After a few minutes this screen came on. Stayed this way for about 15 minutes and even stayed on after turning the truck off. 

Anyone else had this happen before and what was your solution?

IMG-3080.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, Silva said:

I got the below message on my screen last night. Started the truck up but the screen remained black. After a few minutes this screen came on. Stayed this way for about 15 minutes and even stayed on after turning the truck off. 

Anyone else had this happen before and what was your solution?

IMG-3080.jpg

I had the same issue on an updated factory unit for my Sierra. I had purchased it from a 3rd party to get Android Auto and called them and they sent me a new unit and I sent them back the malfunctioning one.

Screen.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping up an old thread... 

I just had this happen to me. Single and negative digit temps for last couple days. I don't drive much. During this time, I took a 2 block drive each way one day and a 2 mile drive each way another day. Last night, I was going to run out and grab dinner for myself, my daughter, and my young sun. When trying to remote start, I saw tail lights flashed once for lock and then just flash once for remote start instead of normal 2 times and no start. I already knew this meant low battery. I jump started with my daughter's Honda Pilot and let it run for a bit. I drove to get the food, left it running, then drove back home. The whole time since jump starting, the entertainment screen displayed the "Waiting for Update" message the whole time. After getting back home, I dragged my battery charger out and left it plugged in overnight. 

This morning, I was planning on trying to pull the Head Unit fuse as was described in the service bulletin for this problem. I searched before going out and none of the fuses were labeled for that. The closest I found was the #18 fuse in passenger side panel for the radio. I went out, disconnected the charger and remote started. It was a bit sluggish but started. I pulled off the passenger side fuse cover and was searching for the fuse I had identified and for kicks decided to put key in ignition and turn to on. Entertainment screen came on normal so no need to pull fuse #18. 

So it seems like this can happen with a low voltage battery condition and once battery is charged back up fully, the entertainment system will work properly again.

• Like 1

Well I thought it was working normally but when I plugged in my phone to use Android Auto, I got a big red screen on my phone with error message and Android Auto wouldn't start. 

First I tried turning off the Silverado and opening door to completely turn it off and it wouldn't work. The error message on phone stated to check date and time on radio. So I went to settings on radio and that's when I noticed the time was off. I reset that and then checked the date. It showed Jan 1, 2013. Well that wasn't right so I fixed that. I tried again and got same phone error message. I tried restarting phone but still no good. I then tried deleting my phone in radio settings under Android Auto, still wouldn't work. I deleted the Silverado from the phone under the phone settings. Still not working. I also went back into radio settings and turned off Android Auto and then turned it back on but no luck.

Finally when I got to my destination, I turned off the Silverado and went inside. I was going to do a factory reset on the radio when I came back out to see if that would do the trick. I came back out some time later and after starting truck, connected usb cord to my phone and this time it finally worked. That was frustrating but I know what to expect the next time this happens. Not sure what the thing that finally worked but I know the date and time needed to be fixed. If it happens again, these are the steps I will try. Delete the phones saved in radio and vehicles in the phone, turn Android Auto off in radio settings, restart phone, turn vehicle and radio fully off, restart truck, turn Android Auto back on in radio settings, and then plug USB back into phone.