My Yukon has turned into a Rough Rider

I’ve been documenting everything so here goes. Hoping you guys have some experience and can shed some light. 

Nov 12th 

2016 Yukon XL Denali owner here. About 65k miles on it now. Originally leased then financed it and also purchased the extended warranty back in 2020. Had roughly 50k miles on it then. Riding fine.

Once I hit around 60k I noticed it starting to ride rough. Almost jerking out of my seat. Also when I go over a speed bump a notice the rear kinda sways back and forth.

Take it into GMC and they replace the fronts under warranty. I asked about the rears but they told me that they were fine and they typically don’t have an issue with the rears unless you are doing heavy lifting.

They also replaced both TVs and a hose covered under warranty.

I got it back after a week on Tuesday. I was expecting to be riding on a cloud but to be honest, I can hardly tell that new shocks were installed. It’s still rough. And I took it over a few speed bumps. Same issue with the swaying back and forth. I thought I would perhaps give it a few days but I’m truly disappointed.

Nov 30th 

Well apparently there’s nothing wrong with it. I took it back to the dealership and the service guy just called. Said he and the tech just took it out for a spin and it drives “fine”. Rear shocks are in good condition according to them. They say it’s a truck and drives that way.

I ****** you not. It’s never driven like this before. Bumpy as hell and sways back and forth when you go over a speed bump. I’m going down there now to take a ride with them

Dec 1st 

*** Update****

So the Service rep and tech were adamant that my truck rides “fine”. I went down there yesterday and they had me take a test drive with the tech. I went over the same speed bumps they did. Mind you they are tiny speed bumps in a parking lot.

First one I went over. Fronts go over fine, rears I drive over slow and as soon as it comes down it rocks back and forth. Look over at the tech -“ did you feel that?” He says “hmmmm kinda “

Next speed bump I go a normal slow speed over it. Rocks even more ! “I know you felt that ! “ he says “ yep definitely”

“Now take me to the road you drove it on, I need to get it up to at least 40-50”

Takes me to a mildly rough road. Truck is jerking, throwing us around “

He finally agrees that it drives like ******.

Now he tells me that the only issue is that the GMC inspector might not sign off on the work. He’s going to double check everything suspension related, put the order in to replace the rears but if the inspector doesn’t see a failed part then he probably won’t sign off on it.....

I’m beginning to think that there is a known issue that GMC isn’t admitting to.

The saga continues ...

Today Dec 2nd 

***Update***

GMC Dealership is installing new rear shocks today even though they can’t find anything wrong with the existing rears. Should get it back today! Crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe.

31 minutes ago, newdude said:

Its the shocks.  The Magneride shocks are known for going out on these.  Sometimes even a bad front shock can default the whole system to its fail safe which makes it ride rough.  

So they did replace the fronts because they were blown out but maybe they didn’t need to replace the rears and the system was just in its fail safe mode? They were reluctant to do the because they couldn’t find any issues with them. 

Do I ask them to reset it? Out of fail safe if I’m still feeling the rough ride? 

Well they replaced the rear shocks and it’s riding pretty close to new. I’m pretty satisfied overall. I still think it’s strange that the tech said there was nothing wrong with the rears and they went ahead and replaced them anyways. Who knows. Maybe it was put into fail safe mode when the fronts went and they never reset it. Anyways I’m pretty happy. I think next round I’ll look into upgrading my tires. Still got another 15-20k left on them. 

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye of the shocks/ride quality because it does seem like an issue for these trucks.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 17 XL Denali with 80k on it. Traded in my beloved 09 XL Denali (rode like a dream before and after various suspension parts were replaced) This new Denali rides like a U-haul truck. Previous owner put bfg ta/ko tires on it, but there's no way that explains the level of bone jarring from this ride. I have no doubt there are multiple blown components, but question is what do I replace with. No way am I sticking with magnacrap just to revisit 20k later. Overall while there are some features I love, im a bit underwhelmed with some things that seem to have gone backwards from the previous generation. 

New to this Forum here. I have a 2019 suburban Premier 4x4 w/Magnaride suspension. Has a rattling sound in the front end. 62k miles. Replaced the front shocks myself. I added a rough country 2” leveling kit while I was at it. Sound went away for a little bit. Took to a shop. They said that the sway bar bushings and end links were bad. And well as the putter tie rod ends. I replaced the bushings and end links. And the shop replaced the tie rod ends. I almost never use a shop. But it needed and alignment anyways. So for 400$ I thought it was fair to have those changed and aligned. It still makes the same noise. I told them from the beginning that I thought that it was bad ball joints. I’m really thinking that’s the case. But I did change the shocks and seen something online about the shocks having a failsafe. Do you guys know anything about this? It seems to me like the ball joints are bad. But this guy has 25 years experience in front ends. So you wouldn’t figure he would steer me in the wrong direction. But the noise didn’t go away and I’m about 1600$ in the hole. And it’s so new. I just want it to ride good again. Also. I am perplexed that the dealship says the ball joints are “unserviceable” and the whole control arms have to be replaced. That was just a phone call I made looking for OEM ball joints. I can find just the ball joints on Summit racing and Napa. That’s it. So I’m thinking there is something I’m missing? Do you guys know if these are truly unserviceable? And do you think it does need some kind of computer reset after changing the shocks? Anything would be helpful! I’m about mediocre in experience and front ends are not my strong point. More of an engine guy!

Ive known my tech at the dealership for years, he's the only guy I trust and hes the guy other techs shut up and learn something from. Hell be tearing into mine on Thursday 1/6. Im curious about all the questions you've raised. I will say that when he replaced the ball joints on my 09 he did it as a complete assembly. Not sure if that was convenience, parts availability or best practice. Funny thing with that truck is I had multiple components blown, never noticed a thing. In my new Denali however I'm gonna need a chiropractor and a dentist. Anyway, I'll try to get the lowdown and I'll let ya know what he says. 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, DenaliMan16 said:

I’ve been documenting everything so here goes. Hoping you guys have some experience and can shed some light. 

Nov 12th 

2016 Yukon XL Denali owner here. About 65k miles on it now. Originally leased then financed it and also purchased the extended warranty back in 2020. Had roughly 50k miles on it then. Riding fine.

Once I hit around 60k I noticed it starting to ride rough. Almost jerking out of my seat. Also when I go over a speed bump a notice the rear kinda sways back and forth.

Take it into GMC and they replace the fronts under warranty. I asked about the rears but they told me that they were fine and they typically don’t have an issue with the rears unless you are doing heavy lifting.

They also replaced both TVs and a hose covered under warranty.

I got it back after a week on Tuesday. I was expecting to be riding on a cloud but to be honest, I can hardly tell that new shocks were installed. It’s still rough. And I took it over a few speed bumps. Same issue with the swaying back and forth. I thought I would perhaps give it a few days but I’m truly disappointed.

Nov 30th 

Well apparently there’s nothing wrong with it. I took it back to the dealership and the service guy just called. Said he and the tech just took it out for a spin and it drives “fine”. Rear shocks are in good condition according to them. They say it’s a truck and drives that way.

I ****** you not. It’s never driven like this before. Bumpy as hell and sways back and forth when you go over a speed bump. I’m going down there now to take a ride with them

Dec 1st 

*** Update****

So the Service rep and tech were adamant that my truck rides “fine”. I went down there yesterday and they had me take a test drive with the tech. I went over the same speed bumps they did. Mind you they are tiny speed bumps in a parking lot.

First one I went over. Fronts go over fine, rears I drive over slow and as soon as it comes down it rocks back and forth. Look over at the tech -“ did you feel that?” He says “hmmmm kinda “

Next speed bump I go a normal slow speed over it. Rocks even more ! “I know you felt that ! “ he says “ yep definitely”

“Now take me to the road you drove it on, I need to get it up to at least 40-50”

Takes me to a mildly rough road. Truck is jerking, throwing us around “

He finally agrees that it drives like ******.

Now he tells me that the only issue is that the GMC inspector might not sign off on the work. He’s going to double check everything suspension related, put the order in to replace the rears but if the inspector doesn’t see a failed part then he probably won’t sign off on it.....

I’m beginning to think that there is a known issue that GMC isn’t admitting to.

The saga continues ...

Today Dec 2nd 

***Update***

GMC Dealership is installing new rear shocks today even though they can’t find anything wrong with the existing rears. Should get it back today! Crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe.

We kidnapped a mechanic once because only the way my wife drives would replicate the problem, we didn't get out of the parking lot before it did it.

Now, those Magneride shocks have to be reset electronically every so often.  If you have a laptop, get an MDI2 with GDS2 software and or a subscription to ACDelco's Techline and take care of it yourself when necessary.  Magneride shocks seem to last 5-7 years. 

• 1 year later...

Before you do anything check to see that the Off Road option has not accidentally been switched to ON

That locks up the front shocks for off road driving

I believe mine was turned on by an online software update 

its on Page 8 or 9 of Settings and hard to find

Also the Manuas barely mentions it