Anybody see this yet?

Thanks for pointing that out. Our '21 Silverado 1500 (Nov. 2020 production date) was one of the early ones affected and that's a bummer that there still may be vehicles in dealer stock with the same issue. Had I known, I would have bought a 2500 with the 6.6 gas engine instead.

That's a lot of vehicles to fix.  But no different than any other recall that affects millions of vehicles.  I'm curious though this issue affects prior generations too.  But apparently it's "especially" awful for all of the 2021 models.  However I do see that the Sierra was excluded? 

Edited by BlaineBug

31 minutes ago, Muddturtle1231 said:

Does this mean that those of us that already bought a 2021 will have to wait for it to have problems before being repaired?  Or, will there be a recall?

At the moment, yes, you will bring it in when it starts to misfire and throws a check engine code (typically P0300). I have a suspicion that there eventually will be a recall, given the growing scale of the issue, which you can always check for by your VIN number online or they should send you something in the mail if there is one.

2 hours ago, Muddturtle1231 said:

Does this mean that those of us that already bought a 2021 will have to wait for it to have problems before being repaired?  Or, will there be a recall?

This will be a VIN specific coverage.  If it will apply to your truck, you'd be able to pull your VIN in the GM recall search to see if its covered.  

GM is calling this a Service Update, not a recall.  It expires November 2022.  To start with also, this Service Update will only apply to new stock that has yet to be delivered to dealers.  

This service update involves vehicles in dealer inventory only and will expire November 30, 2022.

When this bulletin is first released, all affected vehicles will be in transit from GM. It is very important that the procedure in this bulletin be performed on all vehicles upon arrival at the dealership. DO NOT sell or deliver one of these vehicles to a customer until the procedure in this bulletin is complete an the field action is closed.

Dealers must take the steps necessary to ensure that the service update correction has been made to all involved vehicles in dealer inventory before selling or dealer-trading the vehicle, but no later than November 30, 2022.

The customer side of this has not been fully released yet.  Don't go running off to the dealer just yet, if there is a customer portion of this Service Update, it will have a NEW # to go with it as well as possibly being a recall or special coverage, so hang tight.

2 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

That's a lot of vehicles to fix.  But no different than any other recall that affects millions of vehicles.  I'm curious though this issue affects prior generations too.  But apparently it's "especially" awful for all of the 2021 models.  However I do see that the Sierra was excluded? 

Sierra is on the list.  

1 hour ago, Desrunner said:

It references L84 and L87 engines, but not the L82. Why?

Not sure as to why this is.  The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that the L82 is an AFM motor, only 4 cylinders deactivate and they are probably seeing much less issues.  L84 and L87 are DFM so all 8 cylinders can deactivate, and there has been a strong showing of lifter failure in those two engines.  

1 hour ago, crj19 said:

Because they are no longer putting the L82 in the Silverado. 

For the 2021 model year, yes they were.  L82 is not in 2022 Silverado/Sierra anymore.  Those are all now the L84.  

Edited by newdude

Re-iterating a couple parts from my reply above.

This will be a VIN specific coverage.  If it will apply to your truck, you'd be able to pull your VIN in the GM recall search to see if its covered.  

GM is calling this a Service Update, not a recall.  It expires November 2022.  To start with also, this Service Update will only apply to new stock that has yet to be delivered to dealers.  

The customer side of this has not been fully released yet.  Don't go running off to the dealer just yet, if there is a customer portion of this Service Update, it will have a NEW # to go with it as well as possibly being a recall or special coverage, so hang tight.

Edited by newdude

3 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

I saw this too.  How can the Chevy 5.3 have this notice but not the Sierra?

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Sierra is on the list.  

Not sure as to why this is.  The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that the L82 is an AFM motor, only 4 cylinders deactivate and they are probably seeing much less issues.  L84 and L87 are DFM so all 8 cylinders can deactivate, and there has been a strong showing of lifter failure in those two engines.  

For the 2021 model year, yes they were.  L82 is not in 2022 Silverado/Sierra anymore.  Those are all now the L84.  

L82 is active fuel management (v4/v8 mode) and the L84 is dynamic fuel management which allows the engine to operate on as few as 2 cylinders, am I right?

5 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

L82 is active fuel management (v4/v8 mode) and the L84 is dynamic fuel management which allows the engine to operate on as few as 2 cylinders, am I right?

That sounds right to me but does that mean different lifters as well? I have an L82 without AFM (-$50 credit). Having all 8 all the time… priceless.

11 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Correct.  

11 hours ago, Desrunner said:

That sounds right to me but does that mean different lifters as well? I have an L82 without AFM (-$50 credit). Having all 8 all the time… priceless.

No.  Same lifters.  Also, trucks built with the AFM $50 credit still have all the parts, just none of it functions.  Think just like putting in a Range AFM disabler/Pulsar LT except its permanent.

10 hours ago, haider320 said:

My 2021 is one of the 2021's that does not have DFM.  It's in V8 mode all the time. I wonder if I'll be good?

Should be.  Hardware is still in the engine but won't ever have a chance to operate.  Permanently disabled and GM has no plans to enable on those trucks.  

14 hours ago, haider320 said:

I saw this too.  How can the Chevy 5.3 have this notice but not the Sierra?

Sierra is on the list.  GMAuthority sucks and can't read.  

Edited by newdude