06 silverado ticking at warm idle

5.3l

sometimes at idle when my engine is warm, i'll get a loud ticking. this only happens after the engine is warm and i've been idling for like 5-10 minutes.

If i rev the engine to 2k rpms the ticking will increase in speed with the engine, but then after 30 seconds the ticking will go away for a few minutes then come back.

so now if i'm sitting in my truck in idle while i'm on lunch at work, once the trucks warmed up i have to rev the engine every few minutes to get the ticking to go away.

my oil pressure at warm idle is around 35-40, when i'm on the highway it goes to like 45, cold start is about 40.

I Just bought it recently and the oil was pretty dark when i changed it.

I've read so many different things to fix this that i'm not sure where to begin. such as: motor flush, lucas oil, replacing 1qt of oil with ATF, etc.

anyone with any insight would be appreciated, I am glad that there is no issue when i am actually driving, but i am trying to see what i can do to prevent this from getting worse.

Questions need to be answered or more information needs to be given for anyone to give you a good assessment of what the issue causing your tick might be.

At a glance dirty lifters could be the cause, and there are plenty of youtube videos that go over how to solve that.

I would like to know, how long has it been since you changed the oil, what oil are you using, and filter.  If you only have say 1k on the truck since your last oil change, and you used a good quality oil  and filter, it doesnt look dirty or milky, and the level is where it needs be, then doing the lifter clean up might be your best way to go.

'

If i am in your shoes,I am going to remove 1 qt of oil from the pan, then I am going to add 1 qt of marvel mystery oil and run it for a few weeks.  Then I am going to change the oil with a good synthetic oil, with an ac delco filter.   I am going to add 1 qt of marvel mystery oil with that oil change, being sure not to exceed the total amount for your truck.

You can test the Oring on the pick up tube issue, by adding oil while your truck is warm.  A qt should be plenty.  If the tick goes away then this might be your issue, and you can proceed accordingly. Be sure to do this for test purposes only and do not run your truck this way. Doing it just before you change your oil would make the most sense.

Edited by Sharpz

thanks for taking the time to reply

had the oil changed about 500 miles ago, the oil filter is a penzoil pz-48 and i just got whatever synthetic blend they had at the valvoline i got my oil changed at.

i think tomorrow i'm going to add a quart of oil and let it idle for a bit and see if the o-ring is the issue, and then change my oil using 1 qt of mystery oil and 5qt synthetic and use a ac delco filter and see if the problem still persists after a couple weeks

7 minutes ago, Zack Horwitz said:

thanks for taking the time to reply

had the oil changed about 500 miles ago, the oil filter is a penzoil pz-48 and i just got whatever synthetic blend they had at the valvoline i got my oil changed at.

i think tomorrow i'm going to add a quart of oil and let it idle for a bit and see if the o-ring is the issue, and then change my oil using 1 qt of mystery oil and 5qt synthetic and use a ac delco filter and see if the problem still persists after a couple weeks

pf46e is the ac delco filter.  I use Mobile one, full synthetic high mileage oil from walmart, and have never had a problem with it. I also get the Marvels mystery oil from there as well.  I run 5 quarts of 5w30 full synthetic to 1/2 qt marvels each change.  I dont have a lifter tick, although I did before I started using the marvels, but only for about 7 miles or so, then it would go away.

The exhaust manifolds all have new shiny bolts so I'm assuming the previous owner had them fixed.

Is the oil pickup tube on my passenger side? The reason I ask is that when I was having my two driver's side tires replaced they had the left side of my truck lifted up and I remember thinking about how it wasn't making the ticking noise which I thought was weird.

It took them forever and it never made a noise.

Still it seems like my psi is okay from what I've read ~35 psi hot idle, 42 psi hot driving.

Just because the exhaust bolts are shiny new doesn't mean the gasket is good. Especially if it was a fiber gasket. Although normally you would have a tick sound when you start the truck, I did not when I had my leak.

Yes that is fine oil pressure.