2000 GMC Sierra 1500 change Halogen lights to LED?

So I do a lot of driving at night and need better lighting.  I have been doing research on the matter.  Some have the issues of the LED's burning out due to LEDs don't draw enough current and it thinks the bulb is burned out, also flicker issues, etc.  Now I cant get exact information if this is true for my truck or not.  I was looking at replacing my 9005 and 9006 lights with the Sealight 9005 and 9006 kit(can find on amazon). 

So my questions are can I just direct replace the bulbs with these LED's?  Was it just that the older bulbs didn't have the chips but the new ones do therefore eliminating the power/flickering issue?  Some with experience with my Gen trucks going LED please help out here.  I did just buy the LED kit from Amazon.

Edited by Brenden Burnham
  • Like 1

• Brenden Burnham changed the title to 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 change Halogen lights to LED?
2 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

The first paragraph info is not true for your truck. You can direct replace them. I have LEDs in my truck with no issues

Thanks and I read some of the reviews on the kit and you are right they say it works out the box for my year truck.  That is great news I will have Wednesday and will be replacing the Halogens.  I just did the headlight restoration today and wow they sure cleaned up really good.  the LED addition will surely make it safer for night driving.

I have also used those exact bulbs for a year now, without issue.  I also changed out my running lights with LEDs with no issues.  When I did change out my parking lights, brake lights, marker lights ect, the only issue I found was that the turn signals flash faster, but they work fine.  I liked the looks so much I even changed out the fog lamps to the dfrg led swap.  Combined they give the truck an upgraded look, and very good brightness. 

• Like 1

Do you guys running those LEDs ever have passing cars flash their lights at you? Some LEDs seem to be okay, while others are borderline HID bright and without having a proper cutoff can blind oncoming drivers. 

I only ask because I'm in the process of modding my headlights and this might be a temporary fix until I finish them.

5 hours ago, TurboTruck said:

Do you guys running those LEDs ever have passing cars flash their lights at you? Some LEDs seem to be okay, while others are borderline HID bright and without having a proper cutoff can blind oncoming drivers. 

I only ask because I'm in the process of modding my headlights and this might be a temporary fix until I finish them.

Just got the Sealight 9005/HB3 9006/HB4 LED Bulbs Combo Package and an very happy.  Just got them installed last night.  Was super easy and fit perfectly in my 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8 SLE.  And what a difference I drove them for a couple hours last night and a huge difference for visibility over the stock Halogen's.  Just drove for one night but do not feel they are on the "too bright blinding people" level.  Even states in the description that the cutoff line is as clear as Halogen.  I just did the high and low beams but now plan on getting the rest of the light's LED as well.  Cannot believe I waited this long.

On a side note my headlights were yellow hazed so I did a light restoration on them to really make them better.   What a huge difference between the two mods I feel 100% safer driving at night now.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, Sharpz said:

I have also used those exact bulbs for a year now, without issue.  I also changed out my running lights with LEDs with no issues.  When I did change out my parking lights, brake lights, marker lights ect, the only issue I found was that the turn signals flash faster, but they work fine.  I liked the looks so much I even changed out the fog lamps to the dfrg led swap.  Combined they give the truck an upgraded look, and very good brightness. 

Found out you can get a "Flasher Relay" that replaces existing and this fixes the "hyper flashing" issue.  Just will not know if you are out a light based on the hyper flashing anymore.  Easy enough to check time to time and not have it hyper flashing anytime the turn signal is on.  I will do that when I get other lights switched out.

Is there something different or special with our trucks when running LED turn/hazard bulbs? I don't think there is but I might just not be "in the know." 

If there isn't something special that I'm unaware of, all you have to do is run down to the local parts store and get some load resistors. The ones they have in the light bulb section are a little overpriced because they know you need them for running LED turn/hazard lights but you can get them on Amazon as well and save some change. The flasher/relay causes a fast flash like a bulb is out because the load of the LED is so small the flasher behaves as if the circuit is open.

Here's a picture of one.

Product main large

Edited by TurboTruck

54 minutes ago, TurboTruck said:

Is there something different or special with our trucks when running LED turn/hazard bulbs? I don't think there is but I might just not be "in the know." 

If there isn't something special that I'm unaware of, all you have to do is run down to the local parts store and get some load resistors. The ones they have in the light bulb section are a little overpriced because they know you need them for running LED turn/hazard lights but you can get them on Amazon as well and save some change. The flasher/relay causes a fast flash like a bulb is out because the load of the LED is so small the flasher behaves as if the circuit is open.

Here's a picture of one.

Product main large

Because LED draw's much less current than Halogen our trucks think the light is burned out therefore causing turn signal to hyper flash which is what it does to warn you when a light is burned out.  The problem with those Load equalizers is they end up giving the actual amount of load to the LED which is my mind you do not want to be giving the LED more load than it needs.  Also those resistors was told can/do run hot, and you need one per set of lights.  No thanks.  The fix is get the Relay that turns off hyperflash.  No additional hot parts, etc.  Search for Standard Motor Products - EFL-6 EFL6 Relay

Is a direct replacement of your existing one.

Edited by Brenden Burnham

Okay, well that answers my question I guess. Our trucks aren't any different than any other vehicle with a fast flash caused by the "light load" (sorry dad pun...) of the LED.

I hadn't experienced them running hot but don't know I actually ever checked them either so I guess that could be. I just wired them up and left them alone but I didn't think about where the load was going. Guess I just assumed the resistor was bypassing and sending it back to the relay but honestly I have no idea how all that would work.

I know I'll be looking into the relay you mentioned to fix this in the future for sure! Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, TurboTruck said:

Okay, well that answers my question I guess. Our trucks aren't any different than any other vehicle with a fast flash caused by the "light load" (sorry dad pun...) of the LED.

I hadn't experienced them running hot but don't know I actually ever checked them either so I guess that could be. I just wired them up and left them alone but I didn't think about where the load was going. Guess I just assumed the resistor was bypassing and sending it back to the relay but honestly I have no idea how all that would work.

I know I'll be looking into the relay you mentioned to fix this in the future for sure! Thanks for the info.

Honestly I don't exactly know how it all works as well I just have been reading a lot of reviews of the stuff of late trying to figure out best route to go and that relay for me seems legit.  But you are right you could also do the relay's.  for me less possibly stuff and especially possibly hot stuff the better.  

4 minutes ago, Brenden Burnham said:

Honestly I don't exactly know how it all works as well I just have been reading a lot of reviews of the stuff of late trying to figure out best route to go and that relay for me seems legit.  But you are right you could also do the relay's.  for me less possibly stuff and especially possibly hot stuff the better.  

Yeah, I completely agree. If it can be resolved with a relay, I'd much rather do that. I've been in a car that caught on fire and I don't ever want to risk that over some stupid load resistors. haha.