New tires and rims!

Upgraded to 20” Chrome LTZ rims and low profile tires! Love the look. Looking at it now I think I would have gone with a tire that has a bit more sidewall. At first, the tire shop I had install these tires don’t even BALANCE them! They rode terrible. Afterwards, it’s a whole lot smoother. Only thing is that now because of the low profile the ride is still a little rough. Mainly on stretches of freeway that aren’t so smooth… Nothing I can’t live with! I’ve been debating between 4/6 and 3/5 drop for the longest but I think I’m just going to start at a 3/5 for now and eventually get a little bit more beefier tires. Maybe a 265/50r 20

E470C95E-7B5E-476A-BE10-00D5005AD652.thumb.jpeg.3c2b098e92e22dc80d15d1af08e3c1a6.jpeg

0F0ACD03-5DE1-4DF7-B0FC-08C972AA3FA9.thumb.jpeg.6f7ad2edbf99269e81c4890d6cff0ca5.jpeg

Edited by Cosmic Kustoms
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

4/6 or bust

I love the look of a 4/6!!! It’s what I really wanted but I only worry about clearance issues. We have a lot of dips around here and I drive a lot of freeway miles. I do plan on installing helper bags ! But as for front clearance I’m unsure 😕 

8 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Here's a 4/6 next to my +14"

20" difference back bumper height.

Do the 4/6 sir

Resized_20210530_094824~2_14599094305157~2.jpeg

Wow nice! That looks awesome. Maybe I just will do the 4/6… everyone says I should so I think I’ll listen to them lol. I bought the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator this morning so I can correct the speedometer. Didn’t think the difference in tire size would make the speedo be off by as much as it is. It’s only about 3 MPH on the freeway but in the end I would just rather have the truck running good and shifting right ! 

Do you remove the lower air dam on the bumper for more clearance? 

13 hours ago, Cosmic Kustoms said:

Wow nice! That looks awesome. Maybe I just will do the 4/6… everyone says I should so I think I’ll listen to them lol. I bought the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator this morning so I can correct the speedometer. Didn’t think the difference in tire size would make the speedo be off by as much as it is. It’s only about 3 MPH on the freeway but in the end I would just rather have the truck running good and shifting right ! 

Do you remove the lower air dam on the bumper for more clearance? 

You could remove it. I would do the drop and see how close it is to the ground.

• Like 1

4/6 on a K2XX is really not that low. A lot of people around me do a 5/7 or 6/8 and I live in a city with some of the worst roads I've ever drove on. Helper bags will be good if you still tow.

I would remove the air dam just because it looks ugly, if we are talking about the same air dam

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

4/6 on a K2XX is really not that low. A lot of people around me do a 5/7 or 6/8 and I live in a city with some of the worst roads I've ever drove on. Helper bags will be good if you still tow.

I would remove the air dam just because it looks ugly, if we are talking about the same air dam

Thanks ! That's good to know. Honestly I think I might regret my tire size choice lol. I took the tires in for balancing but man they still get bumpy on the freeway. Dunno if it's the tread or not. I'll see how long I can live with it. Might upgrade to Michelin Defender LTX 265/50r 20 in the near future. Rn I  have Goodyear Eagle GT II.

The air dam I mentioned is the lower part of the bumper that seems like it'd get hammered on steep dips and driveways , mine actually looks like the previous owner might've jumped a curb at some point cause the passenger side looks a little shredded lol

Post a picture of it, I think I know what you are talking about but want to be sure.

No idea about those tires. I am at 265/50r20 on some Falken tires I believe. You may be able to get some taller tires in a K2XX though

23 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Post a picture of it, I think I know what you are talking about but want to be sure.

No idea about those tires. I am at 265/50r20 on some Falken tires I believe. You may be able to get some taller tires in a K2XX though

I think we’re on the same page. The air dam I was talking about is the lower part of the plastic lower bumper that can detach. It’s a really skinny long piece 
CCA6C18A-466A-45C6-9427-20F946CCA4D6.thumb.jpeg.3cf17788388f2b9991c1f1a79c87600c.jpeg

Just now, shakenfake said:

Yeah take that off it looks ghey

Definitely gonna do that then! And definitely once I get some more $$$ gonna get new tires. These look cool but eh the ride isn’t worth it. I had a GMT800 (06 RCSB Silverado WT) and this is the wheel and tire combo I wanted. I know a lot of guys run 275/45 20 on GMT800s so I thought we’ll since i don’t have the cateye anymore might as well do it to the K2XX 😅 I’m a noob to trucks so yeah I guess I didn’t think that over lol. I’m so used to tuning with carburetors and lowering with blocks and cutting springs this is all brand new to me !

98A9EDCE-0A04-4E39-B591-B5D5093EC106.thumb.jpeg.6ae2947944ed19630572183ad12213e7.jpeg

• Like 1

Like I said I run that 265/50r20 tire and wheel setup on my truck. 2/4 drop but I think I am a bit lower than that on the front. This is my fitment

img_2904_a9debde9abce7bd3f55442c1323fb117ee0bf3b8.jpg

image.png.7b33a67b2394d757178752f9324e2736.png

As you can see they fill my wheel wells up much more than yours. I would be looking at bigger tires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option on the air dam... On mine and it looks like on yours the license plate mount is part of it. (Although my Silverado isnt dropped but leveled instead ) I didnt want to drill holes in bumper to mount the license plate so the air dam had to stay. I always thought that it just sat too low. I came across several threads here that mention it is actually 2 long pieces screwed together. You can take the bottom part off which will give you more clearance and just put top half back on. 

Screenshot_20220126-114903_Gallery.thumb.jpg.22ea6ef97705ae50f49184f6d82d7841.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1