Key fob programming

Hello everyone,

Been searching the forum and may have just missed it. I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 SLT. I thought I could program additional key fobs myself. Only had one when I bought it. Turns out the best price I've found is $187.00 for a kid at the local hardware to plug into my truck for 10 minutes.

By chance is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

Perry D

On 4/5/2022 at 5:05 PM, Perry Davenport said:

Hello everyone,

Been searching the forum and may have just missed it. I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 SLT. I thought I could program additional key fobs myself. Only had one when I bought it. Turns out the best price I've found is $187.00 for a kid at the local hardware to plug into my truck for 10 minutes.

Thanks in advance!

Perry D

Welcome to the site.

What method did you try? Looks like you will need some sort of scan tool to access the program mode.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:05 PM, Perry Davenport said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Perry D

Hi, I bought a replacement fob and a blank key to replace one's I lost. Took them to a locksmith and he programed the fob and key to the truck and cut the blank key for like $75.00 total. Much easier and cheaper than going to a dealer.

Another option if you are just needing an additional FOB is this: https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?year=2015&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%201500&origin=YMM&parttype=Keyless%20Entry%20Transmitter

The choice would depend on if you needed the 3 button or the 4 button. It would probably be around the same price as @Ed S method was if you look on ebay except his also included a key and this is only the FOB. 

As far as the key, you could also try sweet talking your dealer. When I bought mine, it already came with 2 keys and 2 FOB's but I wanted a 3rd key just for a spare. They cut me one and gave it to me one time for free when I happened to be in there for some kind of service.

Thanks, these are great options!

I'm going to reach out to a local locksmith and saw what they can do for me. I didn't buy the truck from a GMC dealer, and other than a good deal on the truck they've been less than helpful. I just have to get it in ky head that this isn't 1998 anymore and a set of keys costs more than $5.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

What method did you try? Looks like you will need some sort of scan tool to access the program mode.

I tried the doors closed, windows up, on/off x3 method. Did nothing. Then I read that only some 2015's can be programmed that way.

Edited by Perry Davenport
Misspelling