Dome light or door open wire?

I’m adding leds to my running boards on a 2022 chevy 2500. I originally wired the leds to the lights in the bed of the truck but now the led strips do a real slow blink then go out.

I was thinking I’d rather have the lights come on automatically when I open the door or hit unlock on the clicker. Can someone point me to the dome light wire?

or better yet, any suggestions where to wire them so they come on and stay on when I remote start the truck?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, Greenhead said:

I’m adding leds to my running boards on a 2022 chevy 2500. I originally wired the leds to the lights in the bed of the truck but now the led strips do a real slow blink then go out.

A lot of these lights, especially ones that dim, are powered by a PWM circuit, so the LED's may have had a hard time with this. 

I was thinking I’d rather have the lights come on automatically when I open the door or hit unlock on the clicker. Can someone point me to the dome light wire?

The dome lights you have to piggy back a pin on the BCM with a relay, Pin 23 (gray wire) on the 1st connector. I used a relay with a filter for the PWM signal for additional LED lights on mine, but keep in mind that works when dome control is turned on or the door is opened, but not when remote started. 

20_Sierra_2500HD_3500HD_Electrical_-1.pdf (gmupfitter.com) (pg 369 of the pdf)

or better yet, any suggestions where to wire them so they come on and stay on when I remote start the truck?

If I'm not mistaken, the parking lights is what you would want for that specific scenario, so you might be able to tap into those. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, Henry Ruiz said:

@mandrewbot3k when you used this relay with filter did it keep the LEDs from flickering when going from on to off ?

Henry, I just responded to your DM, but I'll write out some of it here too so others can see.

I fixed the flicker, but it's not because of the relay, it's because of a low pass filter (RC Circuit) that smooths the power signal. It creates a slight delay turning on and off, but it does smooth it out. I get a slight flicker still, but it's hardly noticeable. 

For my application, the relay is there to switch from RUN power to Battery power during the door open event, because RUN power isn't active yet, but if you have it on just battery power without some kind of trigger+relay, you'll drain the battery since they'll just be on all the time. 

If it's just for the running boards, you should be able to safely go from BCM pin 23 + protection diode => RC filter -> SPST Relay , so long as you're actually powering with a fused line. 

If you try with just a relay, you'll have the same issues still, but it'll be noisey because the coils don't like the pwm signal. It has to be smoothed.