2012 GMC Acadia Overheating

Jonathan D.

Question

I have a 2012 gmc acadia and it overheats within 10 minutes.

I just replaced the thermostat as those are easy to cross off the list but still having the issue.

I did notice with the car running, it is not pulling the coolant from the resivour. Once I turn the car off it will slowly bubble into the block.

So I'm thinking water pump but want to verify before spending the time and money replacing it.

One last test I did was turn the heat on with the car running. I cranked it all the way up and it didn't seem to be blowing hot air. Granted it was 86 degrees outside.

Any guidance is appreciated! 

1 answer to this question

Sounds to me like the pump has failed, but it could be an air pocket from improper servicing. 

What I do in those cases to verify that, is use my hands to feel the cylinder head and hose temperatures as it idles from a cold start. The T-stat isn't going to be open, so you can eliminate the 2 big hoses and radiator from that test. Coolant should be circulating through the heater core and a few bypass hoses. If the heads start getting uncomfortable to hold a finger on, yet all the bypass and heater hoses are cold, you've got zero circulation due to either a failed pump, or a giant air pocket.

Most newer vehicles like this require coolant to be charged back into the system under vacuum, otherwise the system will not be full, and this problem can happen.