High Idle Option function Gas and Diesel Heavy Duty trucks

The manual says "The transmission is in P (Park) or N (Neutral)", so leaving it in neutral would appear to be an option. I'd probably throw a couple of wheel chocks in place to give me a peace of mind  if I went that route.

Now I just need to hit up the dealer and see how much it'll cost to do add both the high idle and the auto stop disable. Maybe they'll give me a discount 😅

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Random said:

The manual says "The transmission is in P (Park) or N (Neutral)", so leaving it in neutral would appear to be an option. I'd probably throw a couple of wheel chocks in place to give me a peace of mind  if I went that route.

Now I just need to hit up the dealer and see how much it'll cost to do add both the high idle and the auto stop disable. Maybe they'll give me a discount 😅

Where in the manual did you find a discussion of the high idle option?  I swear I remember seeing it there a year ago when I received the truck, but I couldn’t find it when I looked the other day. Thanks

26 minutes ago, Another JR said:

Where in the manual did you find a discussion of the high idle option?  I swear I remember seeing it there a year ago when I received the truck, but I couldn’t find it when I looked the other day. Thanks

It's actually in my Duramax supplemental manual under "Fast Idle Control". It's apparently also outlined in the GM Upfitter bulletin 82f where I found that GM can add the fast idle (UF3) feature. https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/UI-Bulletin_82f.pdf

• Thanks 2

Neutral would make sense because of the PTO on the Allison.  I haven't tried that with my gas/6 speed truck.  I'll try it later today and report back. 

Super-Mutt really likes this option when she has to stay in the truck during a short stop.  With temps in the high 90s AC running faster keeps her from cooking.  🌭

On 7/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, sheath said:

Neutral would make sense because of the PTO on the Allison.  I haven't tried that with my gas/6 speed truck.  I'll try it later today and report back. 

Super-Mutt really likes this option when she has to stay in the truck during a short stop.  With temps in the high 90s AC running faster keeps her from cooking.  🌭

I checked this and it works in neutral on my truck with the gas engine.  That is handy if I need to pull the truck forward while winching.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The high idle function listed in the infotainment system, is related to rapidly heating the engine for cold weather, it is to heat up the cabin quicker, and if my memory serves me correctly it is located in the climate control section of the settings menu.

This is not the same as the high idle function that the OP is referring to.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, crspangenberg said:

The high idle function listed in the infotainment system, is related to rapidly heating the engine for cold weather, it is to heat up the cabin quicker, and if my memory serves me correctly it is located in the climate control section of the settings menu.

This is not the same as the high idle function that the OP is referring to.

Agree, I believe that is called Elevated Idle and will only kick in below a certain temperature.  Helps heat the oil burner up quite a bit faster, someone with a gasser would have to confirm if that is applicable to them.

• Thanks 1