2022 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Transmission Temp High with Normal Driving, Not Towing

Picked up my brand new truck on 7/9/22 with 8 miles on it. Drove it that day, normal conservative driving on pretty flat roads. Outside temperature that day was around 100 degrees. At about 30 miles on the odometer, the clutch fan kicks in which was pretty loud. Engine temp was at 210, no problem. At that time I didn't know how to pull up the transmission temp so I don't know what it was. I drove straight home and when backing into the garage I hear the dash dinging and I see "Transmission Hot Idle Engine" warning which I found out will appear if the Trans temp reaches 260 for 5 seconds or more. Took it in, they couldn't replicate the issue or find any problems. The next weekend I had about 120 mile trip (not towing) with mostly flat driving and the trans temp reached 232. My brother in his 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax was double towing (5th wheel and Razor) up large hills got up to 160-175 degrees. I'm frustrated and hesitant to tow anything with the way my truck is acting. The service department acts puzzled and not sure what to do. It is actually there right now being looked at. Wondered if anyone else has experienced these kind of issues or has any ideas. 

Edited by D Fowers

Have the same diesel truck, same model and year. Picked it up 7/18/22. Drove 500 miles over two days, keeping the speed under 55 and varying the speed as recommended for diesel engine break in. Outside temps up to 102 degrees. No warnings. Diesel engine break-in guidelines say not to tow until after the first 500 miles of variable speed / under 55 MPH driving.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:11 PM, D Fowers said:

Picked up my brand new truck on 7/9/22 with 8 miles on it. Drove it that day, normal conservative driving on pretty flat roads. Outside temperature that day was around 100 degrees. At about 30 miles on the odometer, the clutch fan kicks in which was pretty loud. Engine temp was at 210, no problem. At that time I didn't know how to pull up the transmission temp so I don't know what it was. I drove straight home and when backing into the garage I hear the dash dinging and I see "Transmission Hot Idle Engine" warning which I found out will appear if the Trans temp reaches 270 for 5 seconds or more. Took it in, they couldn't replicate the issue or find any problems. The next weekend I had about 120 trip home (not towing) with mostly flat driving and the trans temp reached 232. My brother in his 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax was double towing (5th wheel and Razor) will large hills got up to 180-190 degrees. I'm frustrated and hesitant to tow anything with the way my truck is acting. The service department acts puzzled and not sure what to do. It is actually there right now being looked at. Wondered if anyone else has experienced these kind of issues or has any ideas. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, D Fowers.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: D Fowers/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

7 minutes ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, D Fowers.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: D Fowers/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Thank you, I will send in the information.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, Chebby said:

Any update?

It is coming up on 2 months now that I have had my new truck and I am still having the same issues. The dealership said they believe it is a bad sensor which is on back order with no estimated delivery date. It has been three to four weeks ago that they said that. Meanwhile, I cannot use the truck for the purposes I purchased it for. I can't tow with it or it will go into limp mode and I will be stuck somewhere. My frustration is that GM puts out thousands of trucks per week with these sensors and I can't get one shipped to me to fix my truck. I have contacted GM directly which has not helped getting the sensor here any faster. I am very frustrated. 

7 hours ago, D Fowers said:

It is coming up on 2 months now that I have had my new truck and I am still having the same issues. The dealership said they believe it is a bad sensor which is on back order with no estimated delivery date. It has been three to four weeks ago that they said that. Meanwhile, I cannot use the truck for the purposes I purchased it for. I can't tow with it or it will go into limp mode and I will be stuck somewhere. My frustration is that GM puts out thousands of trucks per week with these sensors and I can't get one shipped to me to fix my truck. I have contacted GM directly which has not helped getting the sensor here any faster. I am very frustrated. 

Rockauto has a 1 day shipping delay, but for $6.71, I would buy it and have dealer install. OEM GM.

Maybe dealer would reimburse or offer a oil change.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2022,sierra+3500,6.6l+v8+diesel+turbocharged,3449952,transmission-automatic,fluid+temperature+sensor,2196

19 hours ago, gemarsh said:

Rockauto has a 1 day shipping delay, but for $6.71, I would buy it and have dealer install. OEM GM.

Maybe dealer would reimburse or offer a oil change.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2022,sierra+3500,6.6l+v8+diesel+turbocharged,3449952,transmission-automatic,fluid+temperature+sensor,2196

Well, this is very interesting, thank you for sharing this. I got on Rockauto's website and put it in my cart and it said that I could have it by Sept. 12th. I called the dealership service manager that I've been working with. He verified the part number with me and it was correct. He said he is not authorized to shop 3rd party parts companies and relies on GM for parts. I asked if I could order it and bring it in and he said he would not be authorized to put it in unless it comes from GM. He is going to have his parts manager research and find out why GM is releasing parts to 3rd party companies over dealerships and it that is the case he said they would be very upset. So, I am waiting to hear back on what they find out. Thanks again for sharing this information with me.

8 minutes ago, D Fowers said:

Well, this is very interesting, thank you for sharing this. I got on Rockauto's website and put it in my cart and it said that I could have it by Sept. 12th. I called the dealership service manager that I've been working with. He verified the part number with me and it was correct. He said he is not authorized to shop 3rd party parts companies and relies on GM for parts. I asked if I could order it and bring it in and he said he would not be authorized to put it in unless it comes from GM. He is going to have his parts manager research and find out why GM is releasing parts to 3rd party companies over dealerships and it that is the case he said they would be very upset. So, I am waiting to hear back on what they find out. Thanks again for sharing this information with me.

That definitely complicates the issue. It did get me curious so I randomly checked some of the various gm parts websites, like gmpartsdirect.com, and they all have that sensor in stock. If I was in your position I'd be seriously frustrated. GM owns ACDelco and can't provide the part while 3rd parties appear to have no issues keeping those same parts in stock. Plus they won't honor warranty work unless the part is sourced from GM.

6 minutes ago, Random said:

That definitely complicates the issue. It did get me curious so I randomly checked some of the various gm parts websites, like gmpartsdirect.com, and they all have that sensor in stock. If I was in your position I'd be seriously frustrated. GM owns ACDelco and can't provide the part while 3rd parties appear to have no issues keeping those same parts in stock. Plus they won't honor warranty work unless the part is sourced from GM.

While I was starting to read your post I got a call from the dealership. The service manager said when he went to speak to the parts manager that they had miraculously received a FedEx package last night with the part and they hadn't had time to process it in yet. I can take my truck in tomorrow to have it installed. What horrible communication between the dealership and GM. Two days ago they told me it would be Oct/Nov before they could get it in. Something is screwy in their system. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the fix for my issues. They didn't sound 100% sure.

Update: The dealership installed the new Transmission fluid temperature sensor on Friday, September 2nd. I drove the truck and within about 30-40 miles the temperature was up to 252 degrees. I was not towing or driving aggressively. Obviously the sensor was not the problem. Not sure what the next step is in trying to figure this out.