Looking at trading 2020 at4 1500 for a new 2022 at4 2500

I’ve always wanted a 3/4 ton but couldn’t justify the daily ride quality and fuel efficiency of the 1/2 ton 3.0 duramax. 
Looking at trading in a 2020 at4 1500 3.0 duramax for a 2022 at4 2500 6.6 duramax. I tow a 16’ enclosed work trailer weekly plus a 8350lb travel trailer 10-15 time a year. The 3.0 does great on fuel economy and towing but will definitely be safer with a bigger truck. Decisions decisions. 

I cannot speak to the 3.0, since my 1500 was the 5.3l. But I can say that I really like the 6.6l Duramax. The engine has so much power and the truck feels really quick.

The 2500 feels light on its feet and handles great for a suck a large truck.

Trailering should be great as well.

Best of luck in your decision.

Edited by gregus73

All in what you want.   Never had the 3.o  but have had half tons and had a 21 2500 diesel. now a 22 GMC 2500 gas.

How much do you haul around weekly in weight?  Keep in mind the bigger trucks just dont handle like the 1/2 tons, and they simply cost more to operate and purchase.  

I traded in my 2020 AT4 for a 22 Silverado 2500/Diesel, mainly because I wanted to get a 5th wheel about the same weight as yours. Got the sucker loaded up with all the cameras, etc. and towing/hooking up is a breeze.

I'd suggest you get the 5th wheel package option incase you want to upgrade down the road.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.45.22 AM.png