Under Chassis Spare tire cover - Worth it?

I already went through having to cut off the original spare tire hoist with safety lock. Polyester Blend tire was still mounted.

I bought a new hoist WITHOUT the safety lock.

I was thinking of buying a spare tire cover for it. I have seen some for $40 - $60.

It is not like I have alloy rims or anything, just plain Jane steel but I thought maybe during the snow if something did happen, it might be less of a headache to dismount the spare, that and to keep some of the salt spray off it.

Was wondering if anyone else has had that crazy idea or only me?

Thank in advance.

Kevin

Edited by KevinRC

it would probably just catch and hold moisture as there is no way to seal where the winch goes thru. Check the tire if it's original for dry rot and manufacture date, if it's 10 years old get a newer 1  even if it's still brand new the rubber and cords will be compromised from the weather, exhaust, etc

• Like 1

The original Spare has since been gone to the grave yard.

"even if it's still brand new the rubber and cords will be compromised from the weather, exhaust, etc "

Even with a cover, yeah right.

Go AWAY, far far away

Wow you got some attitude; prolly towards life but you directed it towards Richard, he's one of the best people here. You are obviously young and ignorant; oh, and rude to boot. Covered tires are not so well protected as you think; not so well as to not be exposed to gaseous elements that harm rubber like exhausts, and other gases, salts, etc. If you don't want your spare exposed to the elements keep it in your dark basement.  If you want some wisdom about getting along , well go ask your dad; but while you're here please keep your attitude to yourself.

Edited by Douglas Nathan
  • Like 2

I am, 65 and yeah, I got attitude, and when someone thinks that I am keeping the original Polyester spare, well then..

Edited by KevinRC
Not appropriate on my part

put the cover on it and let it fill up with water, slush salt and see how much fun it is to get it down when all that smat freezes. the spare tires and wheels see a lot of a corrosive environment without trapping that against the tire and wheel. A chemical coating would be much more effective I think. Something like a heavy duty Armor-all. Give the winch a blast of chain and gear lube whenever you can. There is NO way that truck came with a polyester tire as a spare, the differences in handling characteristics  between radial and non-radial tires  would be a serious safety issue

• Like 1

My Apologies for going off the handle.

Your post about it filling up with water and slush makes perfect sense.

I guess just a coating is the best that can be done.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I wish there was a better option than the underneath storage, It takes me longer to get the spare down than change the tire and I always hope it still has air in it even though I check it when changing the oil.. I also had trouble with the safety release on my 04, when I did get it to come down the cable was birdsnested so I have to replace the winch. Will just take the 1 off the 98 as she's headed for truck heaven shortly

In my opinion the old glide out spare tire system was far superior to the current corrosion susceptible cable and winch system. Yes, you had to sit on your butt to slide out the spare tire and wheel and the spare was heavy and could be a little unstable especially if you had a HD with a LT tire, but it was simple and always worked. I'm surmising the change was instigated by the General's legal dept. whom wanted a system where the spare could be lowered, the truck driven slowly forward on a flat tire to clear the spare and the change could then proceed. Maybe GM had been sued for a back injury or they were just trying to get ahead of today's litigious society.

trying to get the retainer out of the center of the wheel requires laying on the ground anyway sometimes with a hammer to dislodge it. The winch on my 98 has been lubed regularly through out its life and even though it's been a plow truck since day 1 it still goes up and down with ease but because both trucks have lift gates on them it requires getting underneath to lower them with a ratchet  system I made. If I didn't use the trucks for cargo I would mount the spares on the side of the bed. I did make a front bumper mount for an old Ford I had but that was butt ugly and it wouldn't pass inspection with it mounted

Thank  you all for your responses.

If you have a flat and cannot get the spare tire down, then what is the use?

I will be running her without the safety latch, which in my opinion is a nice option, but not so much if you do not take care in lubricating it regularly.

Mine was not obviously taken care of nor used.