2022 2500HD with a new RSI SmartCap

When I got the truck back in April I had originally planned to go the ARE or Leer route but with a 3+ month wait time, and being in the middle of a cross country move, I had to wait even longer.  After seeing the SmartCap for the first time back in June on a Ranger, I knew that this was the cap I wanted and was able to convince the wife, who wasn't a big fan of the bed cap idea to begin with because she thinks they're just for old men trucks.  Powder coated stainless and the large gull-wing side doors were big attractors to me.  Unfortunately, there is a long back-log on getting these as well.  I placed my order around the 2nd of July and it showed up to my door the 31st of October.  

Some assembly is required, but its like playing with a really advanced set of legos.  I've got three kids ages 3-8 so I've had ample opportunity to tune up my lego skills since I had been out of practice for a decade or two, and was able to assemble this in an afternoon and then recruit some neighbors to help lift it on the truck.

I wasn't able to find many good pictures of what it looks like on the 2500 prior to purchase so I thought I'd put these up here for anyone else considering one of these.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Edited by c0wb0y84

1 hour ago, c0wb0y84 said:

When I got the truck back in April I had originally planned to go the ARE or Leer route but with a 3+ month wait time, and being in the middle of a cross country move, I had to wait even longer.  After seeing the SmartCap for the first time back in June on a Ranger, I knew that this was the cap I wanted and was able to convince the wife, who wasn't a big fan of the bed cap idea to begin with because she thinks they're just for old men trucks.  Powder coated stainless and the large gull-wing side doors were big attractors to me.  Unfortunately, there is a long back-log on getting these as well.  I placed my order around the 2nd of July and it showed up to my door the 31st of October.  

Some assembly is required, but its like playing with a really advanced set of legos.  I've got three kids ages 3-8 so I've had ample opportunity to tune up my lego skills since I had been out of practice for a decade or two, and was able to assemble this in an afternoon and then recruit some neighbors to help lift it on the truck.

I wasn't able to find many good pictures of what it looks like on the 2500 prior to purchase so I thought I'd put these up here for anyone else considering one of these.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Looks very nice and well built. What does it do exactly? The website says it’s a five piece cap? I see it’s all stainless which is nice but 4k plus is a lot for a cap so what does it do exactly?

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

Looks very nice and well built. What does it do exactly? The website says it’s a five piece cap? I see it’s all stainless which is nice but 4k plus is a lot for a cap so what does it do exactly?

It does pretty much exactly what fiberglass truck caps do but in stainless.  SmartCap is kind of a silly name for it.  It comes in five pieces so it can ship direct to my door for a lot less that trying to get a single piece cap to my door.  Since the closest place that I could get an A.R.E or Leer is two hours away and the base price of the fiberglass caps available to me from them start at $3,000 before adding sliding flip up windows $$, roof rack rails $ and such and then paying for installation $$, the cost difference was negligible and saved me the gas and time for a 4 hour round trip to get it $$$.  

Edited by c0wb0y84

10 hours ago, c0wb0y84 said:

It does pretty much exactly what fiberglass truck caps do but in stainless.  SmartCap is kind of a silly name for it.  It comes in five pieces so it can ship direct to my door for a lot less that trying to get a single piece cap to my door.  Since the closest place that I could get an A.R.E or Leer is two hours away and the base price of the fiberglass caps available to me from them start at $3,000 before adding sliding flip up windows $$, roof rack rails $ and such and then paying for installation $$, the cost difference was negligible and saved me the gas and time for a 4 hour round trip to get it $$$.  

Makes sense. Should last forever being stainless. 

Man, that is a nice cap! I can see why you like it.  It looks really sturdy.  Almost like an enclosed truck rack.  Looks like you can put a pretty substantial rack on top if you want.

This hits a sweet spot for me, as I want a truck to work like a truck, otherwise I'd get an SUV.   Had never heard of this company before your thread.

And for something that requires assembly the shut lines look perfect.  Was that something you had to work at, or does it just go together that well?

Very nice! :cheers:

Thanks!  The claim is it can hold 700 lbs static and 350 dynamic.  It seems that they were designed with offroad camping in mind for people who like the roof mounted tents and such, based on the pics on the website.  I'm shopping for a wide heavy duty rack for hauling a couple of big canoes up there while camping.  Their rack bars aren't quite wide enough for what I'm looking for and as such whatever I end up with will probably have to be put on just when I need it so that it doesn't interfere with the side doors opening on a day to day basis.  That and I'll need a bar to go over the cab and match the height.  I'm not sure which direction I'll go for that yet.

Everything was pretty close tolerances fitting together.  Not too hard to screw up but it did take some effort working the pieces in together.  Their instructions are good so as long as you follow them then it will turn out good.

• Like 1