upgrading from base to factory Nav unit in 2017 traverse...

hello everyone,

this may be an odd question but has anyone gone from a stock (no-navi) headunit in a traverse to a navi head unit? I want to keep the stock factory look on the dash and I havn't seen an aftermarket kit to do that.

so as my question states, is it possible to go from a stock non-navi unit (non-bose also) to a stock Navi unit? I have heard something about the bose components make it harder / impossible but I don't know.

I have a "base"? Traverse AWD with steelie rims (sadly not the nice aluminium ones) with 8 seating, driver power seat, mirrors, windows, steering wheel controls, backup cam etc

The reason I am asking about this is because my wife and I want to connect our phones to the car using bluetooth connectivity instead of a wire into the AUX cause we havn't had much luck with that with our Samsung S22 Ultra phones etc.

A few years ago I tried to install an aftermarket stereo in a Dodge Magnum and use stock speakers and wiring etc and it never worked. come to find out the wiring never turned on the amp to power the speakers and don't want to run into the same problem here with this traverse.

Some of the speakers have cut out and others are acting "blown" and I have already replaced them once, but if I am gonna have to do it agian, I want to add the connectivity of bluetooth. I don't care so much about the navi aspect of the head unit. it would be nice but *shrugs* cause I was gonna go to a scrap yard and pick one up there but again I don't know if there is anything "extra" or radically different that I need to add / delete to get it to work.

thanks agian all for your help,

Mr. Kate

Bare Foot Garage (YT)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, Bare Foot Garage said:

hello everyone,

this may be an odd question but has anyone gone from a stock (no-navi) headunit in a traverse to a navi head unit? I want to keep the stock factory look on the dash and I havn't seen an aftermarket kit to do that.

so as my question states, is it possible to go from a stock non-navi unit (non-bose also) to a stock Navi unit? I have heard something about the bose components make it harder / impossible but I don't know.

I have a "base"? Traverse AWD with steelie rims (sadly not the nice aluminium ones) with 8 seating, driver power seat, mirrors, windows, steering wheel controls, backup cam etc

The reason I am asking about this is because my wife and I want to connect our phones to the car using bluetooth connectivity instead of a wire into the AUX cause we havn't had much luck with that with our Samsung S22 Ultra phones etc.

A few years ago I tried to install an aftermarket stereo in a Dodge Magnum and use stock speakers and wiring etc and it never worked. come to find out the wiring never turned on the amp to power the speakers and don't want to run into the same problem here with this traverse.

Some of the speakers have cut out and others are acting "blown" and I have already replaced them once, but if I am gonna have to do it agian, I want to add the connectivity of bluetooth. I don't care so much about the navi aspect of the head unit. it would be nice but *shrugs* cause I was gonna go to a scrap yard and pick one up there but again I don't know if there is anything "extra" or radically different that I need to add / delete to get it to work.

thanks agian all for your help,

Mr. Kate

Bare Foot Garage (YT)

You'd be WAY better off having an aftermarket radio professionally installed.  GM doesn't even support map updates for the factory nav radio they used at the time anymore.  

Oh yah?

Hmm. I don't care about the maps personally. Just want the android auto / Bluetooth support for as cheap as possible with full functionality *laughs*

Thanks for letting me know though. That is deffinately something to consider.

Mr. Kate

On 12/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, Bare Foot Garage said:

Oh yah?

Hmm. I don't care about the maps personally. Just want the android auto / Bluetooth support for as cheap as possible with full functionality *laughs*

Thanks for letting me know though. That is deffinately something to consider.

Mr. Kate

The 2017 Traverse had first generation MyLink which never had Apple Carplay/Android Auto.  At all.  Those debuted on the generation 2.5 MyLink systems found in the 2016 pickups and SUVs.  2018 Traverse for the redesign skipped MyLink all together and went for the Infotainment 3 system GM launched in other 2018 vehicles.  

If you want Android Auto, you have no choice but to go with an aftermarket head unit.  

Edited by newdude

Drat. Well that makes sense.

Damn Chev "engineers"... ce le vie I guess eh?

Thanks again

Mr. Kate