2006 1/2 ton 4x4 front CV joints

I haven't visited this forum for a long time, so if this topic has been discussed already, please forgive me.

My truck is a 2006 Sierra 1/2 ton, 4x4, X-cab, SLT, 5.3 aluminum engine, with 220,000 miles on it.  I am replacing the front wheel bearing hubs (for the second time), and also intend to replace the CV shafts while I have it apart, because it is either the wheel bearings or the CV joints that are making the howl/grinding noise.  The problem is that the new CV shafts available from local auto parts stores are physically different and don't want to fit.  Careful searching at O'Reilly's by both me and their people gives a shaft with a different outer joint.  See pics below.  Local GMC dealers don't have any in stock to compare.

The replacement shafts I can find have a stamped metal ring pressed onto the outer end of the joint housing, (see yellow circle in picture) and that ring is about 1/8" too large in diameter to fit into the recess in the wheel bearing carrier.  I could take a hammer and knock that ring off, but then the taper of that outer joint housing leaves a large gap between the bearing carrier that could allow debris to enter.  I'm sure that stamped steel ring is intended as rock deflector or some such.  I know the bearing is a sealed unit, so I'm not that concerned about it.  I am just concerned mostly that this unit might have other differerences from the original shafts that could cause problems.

The original CV joint has a sort of deflector ring area that's part of the outer joint casing, which fits into the bearing carrier recess with about 1/8" clearance.  Trying to put the new design unit in makes that stamped steel ring hit the outer diameter of the bearing carrier before the shaft seats into the inner bearing race, which of course won't work.

I spoke with the parts manager at a local shop and he didn't have any answers for me, except "order one and see if it fits".  But I've already done that, and had to return it.  I'd just like to replace the CV shafts at the same time as I am doing the bearing hubs without a lot of dicking around.

Pics below, new style CV shaft on top (obviously the clean one), old dirty one on the bottom.  The offending metal ring highlighted by yellow circle.

Any thoughts or info appreciated. 

20221120_125613 - Copyemailsmall.jpg

20221120_125839.copyemailsmall.jpg

Edited by 06pirate
spelling