TPMS low pressure alert perplexion

2020 2500 HD,  Been running my tires in the 50s since I got it with 7000 miles on it.  A week ago I started getting low pressure alerts on the back two tires, still in the 50s but low 50s.  No I’m getting it just on the rear passenger tire at 53 psi.  what really perplexes me is that tire is one psi higher than two other tires or sometimes the same pressure as one of the tires, and my front driver is always at least one psi lower.   So essentially I’m getting a low pressure alert on my highest pressure tire.

I did not see anything when I search the forum about this and also I’m wondering can I reset the low level alerts?

Edited by Maninthesea

Temperature fluctuates tire pressure.  Every 10 degrees F plus or minus is 1psi plus or minus.

Try 55psi cold on them and see what it does.  Do it without moving the truck if possible so if you have an air pump at home do it then before you drive it and heat gets in the tires.  

As for re-setting the threshold, it can be done but good luck getting it done.  Most dealers won't touch it for liabilities.  

That makes sense. They used to fluxuate around 54-55.   I’d like the low to be around 35psi.  I pump them up to around 70 when I have heavy load.   Most often I am below 1000#.   In my old f250 I ran around 40 most of the time.    Always run Goodyear MTR load range E. Which are 80psi for max load.   

On 1/28/2023 at 10:40 AM, Maninthesea said:

That makes sense. They used to fluxuate around 54-55.   I’d like the low to be around 35psi.  I pump them up to around 70 when I have heavy load.   Most often I am below 1000#.   In my old f250 I ran around 40 most of the time.    Always run Goodyear MTR load range E. Which are 80psi for max load.   

35?  40?  This is turning into Ford vs. Firestone here.  35-40 psi in a 7000-8000lbs truck is unsafe for daily driving.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Maninthesea said:

Everyone has their opinions    I ran 35-40psi when empty for about 10 years in the f250, must have been unsafe.     But I’m running 10ply load range E tires with plenty of side height.    I like my rims smaller and tires thicker.    You do you and keep on judging the rest of us.

Nothing to do with the height or construction of the tire here.  

You Should Never Let Your Tires Get Low (caranddriver.com)

"Low tire pressure can cause a blowout. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of suffering a tire blowout knows how traumatic it can be. When air pressure gets too low, the tire's sidewalls flex more, and heat builds up within the tire. If the overheating gets severe, a section of the tire's rubber can separate from its carcass—the mix of fabric and steel that the tire is built on. If this happens suddenly, a blowout can result. A blowout is sudden and unexpected and can cause a loss of control that leads to an accident."

So yes I will keep judging based on facts and not "opinions".

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Maninthesea said:

Everyone has their opinions    I ran 35-40psi when empty for about 10 years in the f250, must have been unsafe.     But I’m running 10ply load range E tires with plenty of side height.    I like my rims smaller and tires thicker.    You do you and keep on judging the rest of us.

I'm trying not to say anything here but I have to agree with @newdude.  I believe the only reason your E rated tires were keeping their side height at such low pressures was because they are 10 ply.  But in all reality you are creating a huge amount of heat and drag and with them well below, we will say, a reasonable tire pressure.  That puts in you in danger of a blowout big time!!  I run 60+ rears and 50+ fronts when unloaded.  It's a nice compromise from the 80psi they are rated for for overall ride quality.  When empty of course.  Can you at least try those pressures or perhaps 60 all around?  All for sake of safety.  And no I'm not judging here and I don't think anyone else was either if you look at the tire ratings and pressures as a safety factor.  Nothing else.  Just pure safety ok?  As an added bonus you should see better tire wear and better gas mileage as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running Goodyear MTR load range E tires exclusively since I read about their introduction in popular mechanics twenty something years ago.  This is the fifth truck.  Three half ton and two 3/4 ton. The tires I run have always been 80psi tires and after trying them at 80 for a short time I dropped to 40 sometimes 35 unless loaded quite a bit.   I have Never had a blowout. In fact I have only had one flat which is one reason I am so loyal to them.  Not saying no leaks but they will carry a nail or screw till the heads worn off and only leak a little.   As far as safety lower pressure gives bigger footprint so better traction so in that way they are safer.  I’ll take that and not stress over the less safe of sideflex in a high speed turn or tire blowout due to lower pressure.  I’ve made my choices and I’ll stick to the road with them.   I do not worry so much about mileage.   I pay for whatever goes in the tank and don’t sweat MPG it’s not why I have trucks.   Extending tire life would be great as they are not cheep but I will run at the psi I like and not sweat buying a little sooner.   
you do what makes you feel good and we can both be happy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/commercial/bridgestone/pdfs/l-and-i-tables/Bridgestone-TBR-Load-And-Inflation-Tables.pdf

https://www.toyotires.com/media/pxcjubjs/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20200723.pdf

Proper non-commercial (i.e. non Class 4-5-6+) tire load inflation tables are damn near impossible to find.  Many use the Toyo guide.

Running 45 psi cold on an empty truck is perfectly acceptable based on tire, type/speed of driving, temperatures, etc.  At low speed off road situations - good luck running 70 psi...unless of course you are doing something silly like having a triple slide host mammoth camper with full tanks and a motorcycle hanging off the back.

Not sure what the new gm twins have as far as lowering the min psi for warning.  I think you need a scanner to adjust as others have stated.  Dodge has alfaobd and ford has forscan that let you drop the threshold, pretty sure the hd rams have 50ish as a low threshold whereas ford and gm run about 60.

Edited by sabre364