Cab clearance/running lights

ideajim

I have a 2023 sierra 2500 that currently does not have running lights on top of cab. (NEW STUPID CALIFORNIA LAW) does not allow them to be sold with the lights in California. I have found the OEM lights and the Harness but understand you need a special punch to cut square holes in cab roof for mounting them. My first question is that the case on the 20-23 models as it was on the 15-19 models. Second question is does anyone know where to get that tool if needed on my 23. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, ideajim said:

I have a 2023 sierra 2500 that currently does not have running lights on top of cab. (NEW STUPID CALIFORNIA LAW) does not allow them to be sold with the lights in California. I have found the OEM lights and the Harness but understand you need a special punch to cut square holes in cab roof for mounting them. My first question is that the case on the 20-23 models as it was on the 15-19 models. Second question is does anyone know where to get that tool if needed on my 23. Thanks in advance.

You'd probably get better responses over in the correct forum (HD). 

The clips that require the square hole look very similar to the ones used on the rear fender liners. 

You could probably drill the hole undersize and then file the corners carefully to get the hole square. My guess is that any tool that could make that square would be very costly and probably require access to the roof panel from the inside.

My biggest concern would be that you broke the factory paint seal and that will be tough to restore. You would have to do a really good job of cleaning the shavings and then paint the bare metal with a small brush. Along with that I would put a dab of silicone on them when installing the light. 

19 minutes ago, Steve-2019 said:

You'd probably get better responses over in the correct forum (HD). 

That sounds great except I signed up and posted this in the HD forum and what does HD have to do with my question.