New here, 2020 6.6 gas ditched the diesel

Hello eveyone. New 2020 2500 HD 6.6. Gas owner here. I had a nice 2014 ram with the Cummins and a built transmission, delwtes and tuned. However I still got engine lights everytime I towed with it. With the high price of diesel I decided to go back to gas. I tow a 9k travel trailer. I also have a new 22 F250 with the GodIlla 7.3. Havent tried towing with it or the Chevy yet but I have a good feeling about both of them. Anyways, if yall have any 7.3 godzilla questions all do my best to answer them. My name is Luke. Good to be here!!!

4 hours ago, lsttype said:

Hello eveyone. New 2020 2500 HD 6.6. Gas owner here. I had a nice 2014 ram with the Cummins and a built transmission, delwtes and tuned. However I still got engine lights everytime I towed with it. With the high price of diesel I decided to go back to gas. I tow a 9k travel trailer. I also have a new 22 F250 with the GodIlla 7.3. Havent tried towing with it or the Chevy yet but I have a good feeling about both of them. Anyways, if yall have any 7.3 godzilla questions all do my best to answer them. My name is Luke. Good to be here!!!

Glad to have you here Luke.  Very cool name by the way.  Anyhow I'm seeing a lot of lifter problems on social media with the godzilla engine.  I'm hoping it was just a bad batch of lifters and very limited to just a few trucks because I don't want to see any manufacturer have problems. I have tons of respect for the godzilla engine for sure.  I think you will really love the 6.6L gasser, it has been a great engine so far for many of us.  There are a few issues with oil usage, but I don't think it's really overall a common problem...aside from that welcome to the forum...great to have you here!!

Thankyou. The ttype part of my screen name is because I have a Buick Ttype. Also have a 89 Turbo Trans am and a SVO mustang. I bought these when you could get them dirt cheap. Ive also read about the lifter issues with the Godzilla. Pretty scary. Imo they probably outsourced them from China. Ive heard the 5.3 and 6.2 also have lifter issues but not the 6.6. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lsttype said:

Thankyou. The ttype part of my screen name is because I have a Buick Ttype. Also have a 89 Turbo Trans am and a SVO mustang. I bought these when you could get them dirt cheap. Ive also read about the lifter issues with the Godzilla. Pretty scary. Imo they probably outsourced them from China. Ive heard the 5.3 and 6.2 also have lifter issues but not the 6.6. 

Ah the buick T type.  Amazing bunch of vehicles you own.  And yes the 5.3 and 6.2's do have lifter problems but from a different type of problem.  Theirs is due to springs failing that are used for the AFM system.  The 6.6L doesn't have that thank goodness.

Thanks guys. Glad to be here. I can say this, out of the big 3 hd trucks the Chevy definetly rides the best. I think Ram might have the market on interior. My wifes Gozilla is smooth running and so far I really like the 10 speed. The Chevy and Ford both run too hot on the transmission temps imo. Gonna get rid of the thermostat on the transmission line asap. My ram was a nightmare. Way too many glitches and reliability issues. Gas for me for now on. 

8 hours ago, lsttype said:

Thanks guys. Glad to be here. I can say this, out of the big 3 hd trucks the Chevy definetly rides the best. I think Ram might have the market on interior. My wifes Gozilla is smooth running and so far I really like the 10 speed. The Chevy and Ford both run too hot on the transmission temps imo. Gonna get rid of the thermostat on the transmission line asap. My ram was a nightmare. Way too many glitches and reliability issues. Gas for me for now on. 

What temps are you seeing and under what conditions?

my 2500 runs 147-151 trans temp. 

10 hours ago, lsttype said:

I'd advise against that. The transmission thermostat in these newer transmissions (across the board) keep the transmissions in their optimal operating/efficiency range. Plus, many actually run too hot without the thermostat, thus shortening the lifespan of the fluid , and possibly, transmission.

4 hours ago, lsttype said:

It seems to run between 185-190. Seems high to me but thats what the 10 speed Ford is running also

That is really quite high with the Chevy HD.  I think the highest I saw while towing 8k lbs in 95' degree heat was 183 or so.  That's the highest I've ever seen it.  I'm not sure why yours is running that high.  Is that while towing or unloaded?  And I have read that the Fords 10 speed are running quite high temps, so maybe it's normal for that trans.

Edited by Jettech1

14 minutes ago, lsttype said:

Thats unloaded. I wonder if the thermostat is stuck

It seems to run between 185-190. Seems high to me but thats what the 10 speed Ford is running also

That is very high unloaded.  I run the same temps as @Prymedoes unloaded, right around 150 give or take.  Even during the summer hot months...160 perhaps at the most.  Wait a minute, I saw that you have a 2020.  Look into that because they did have problems with the trans thermostat.....you should be running way colder.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, lsttype said:

I'll look into bypassing it. Thankyou

I wasn't suggesting bypassing it.. I was more thinking you could go to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty.