Towing a car

Wondering how practical it is to tow a car about 800 miles.  I have a 5.3 liter Denali. I’m thinking I would rent a trailer that would hold the entire car (not just a two wheel dolly type).  The car is on the smaller size - Mazda 3.  I’ve pulled a one axel trailer around town with light weight before, but nothing like this.  My biggest worry is if I had to back up.  But, I don’t know what I don’t know so I thought I’d ask here.  One of the things I’ve never done is pull a trailer with a brake, which I assume a trailer that would haul a car would have.  I have time so I could get someone local to train me on that if it’s a big deal.  My thought is to drive to where the car is and rent the trailer one way to bring it back home.  Is that too much for my first trailering experience?  Is there any reason to believe that’s too much weight for the Denali to pull?

It's not much different than towing a 20ft boat. So if you've pulled a boat you should have an idea about what it's like. I assume the trailer has a tongue jack in case you get into an area you can't back out of. 

What scares me is securing the car to the trailer. I'd be clueless. 

33 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Wondering how practical it is to tow a car about 800 miles.  I have a 5.3 liter Denali. I’m thinking I would rent a trailer that would hold the entire car (not just a two wheel dolly type).  The car is on the smaller size - Mazda 3.  I’ve pulled a one axel trailer around town with light weight before, but nothing like this.  My biggest worry is if I had to back up.  But, I don’t know what I don’t know so I thought I’d ask here.  One of the things I’ve never done is pull a trailer with a brake, which I assume a trailer that would haul a car would have.  I have time so I could get someone local to train me on that if it’s a big deal.  My thought is to drive to where the car is and rent the trailer one way to bring it back home.  Is that too much for my first trailering experience?  Is there any reason to believe that’s too much weight for the Denali to pull?

This may help with the trailer brake part:

34 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

As far as backing up, I have always had a lot easier time with longer trailers, so much easier to keep straight and in line.

Rent a trailer for a day, find an empty parking lot and practice, you will be suprised how easy it really is.

Drive to the car and rent either a car dolly or car trailer from UHaul, their car trailers are nice trailers and have surge brakes and all tie downs, their dollys have tie downs and if the car is front wheel drive is all you should need, I don't remember if they also have surge brakes. Think about what you are doing so that you don't get in a situation where you have to back up

• Like 1

Definitely not too much weight. I did drive 1100 miles to get a GMC  Terrain and rented a car carrier from uhaul. The main thing to keep in mind is to never get into a situation where you have to back up. When you get gas, stop at a truck stop. When you stop to get something to eat or drink, park someplace where you can pull straight out. Think first when stopping some place. Keep your speed down and increase your following distance. Check out any towing videos out there. 

The worst thing about my trip was some butt tailgated me all the way home. Every time I looked in the rear view mirror there was that Terrain. 

As has been mentioned, most rental trailers have surge brakes so you don't need to worry about electronic brake controller.  For backing a trailer, I was taught to put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and which ever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand that way.  Go slow and keep your eyes on the mirrors.  When driving, keep more space between you and the vehicle in front of you than normal as your braking distance is now quite longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

You will be fine.  Your major trailer rental locations wont have trailer brakes but will have surge brakes.  Surge brakes work automatically and are more for quick/emergency stops so nothing to learn there. 

In terms of weight..... trailer will likely be in the 2000lb range.  The Trailer will likely have about a 5000lb hauling capacity so if you max it out 7000lbs.  Well within the capabilities of your truck. 

Last summer I towed my car nearly 1000 miles.  It weighs about 4000lbs and I towed through the Appalachians.  Truck towed like a champ and really barely felt the trailer...the truck never struggled.  More brakes would have been nice. 

Final word of advice...... always assume you need more braking distance. 

• Thanks 1