Locking fuel cap?

Hi all,

So, I’ve thought about this a few times.

I don’t know about higher trims of the HD but mine has no locking fuel door or anything over the capless fuel filler. Anyone could steal gas or worse yet, put something down the filler neck. 

anyone else worry about this possibility?

Is there any locking option that fits over the filler neck? 

Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

Hi all,

So, I’ve thought about this a few times.

I don’t know about higher trims of the HD but mine has no locking fuel door or anything over the capless fuel filler. Anyone could steal gas or worse yet, put something down the filler neck. 

anyone else worry about this possibility?

Is there any locking option that fits over the filler neck? 

Just a thought. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2022,sierra+2500,6.6l+v8,3449949,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank+cap,5900

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Thanks for that. It’s that acdelco GT377 you were linking right?

just saw it’s on Amazon too but says doesn’t fit 22 2500. But in the reviews someone mentioned they have one for these trucks. The comments say it can be taken off but it would probably be a deterrent. 

rock auto is cheaper but I remember their shipping was very high. 

2 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Never been a problem for me, but I don't live or visit bad area's.

I guess I'm not paranoid about it and none of my vehicles over the last 15 years have had locking caps.

Yeah I live in a good area too but this is the first vehicle I’ve had without at least a cap. 
most economy cars have locking fuel doors, seems these trucks should too. A simple lever to open from the cab 

5 hours ago, Pryme said:

Thanks for that. It’s that acdelco GT377 you were linking right?

just saw it’s on Amazon too but says doesn’t fit 22 2500. But in the reviews someone mentioned they have one for these trucks. The comments say it can be taken off but it would probably be a deterrent. 

rock auto is cheaper but I remember their shipping was very high. 

Yes, that one. I personally don't have one, just remember seeing it on rock. Amazon will say that about fitment on all sorts of things. I think because it wasn't originally equipped with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Almost impossible to steal fuel from the filler neck. The hose will never make it to the bottom.

True. But if someone really wants your gas they'll just pop a hole in the gas tank with a screwdriver and put a gas can under the hole.

Personally, I'd rather they siphoned it out.

• Like 2

I'm more concerned about that little funnel they gave me to use is I ever need to put gas in from a can. I know that will eventually disappear. Fortunately, it's been about 30 years since I've run out of gas with a vehicle. The last time was at about 1 in the morning, in the middle of nowhere, with my wife and 3 small kids along. Had to walk to a farm, wake up the farmer and ask for gas. I've never had any sort of locking cap and have never had a problem......knock on wood. I personally like not having the cap to mess with.

29 minutes ago, rdonarski said:

I'm more concerned about that little funnel they gave me to use is I ever need to put gas in from a can. I know that will eventually disappear. Fortunately, it's been about 30 years since I've run out of gas with a vehicle. The last time was at about 1 in the morning, in the middle of nowhere, with my wife and 3 small kids along. Had to walk to a farm, wake up the farmer and ask for gas. I've never had any sort of locking cap and have never had a problem......knock on wood. I personally like not having the cap to mess with.

I put that in the center console so it shouldn’t ever walk off. I too always fill up before I get too low.