2023 Chevy Silverado 2500HD clunk

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

Yeah sound a lot like my creak. If I push down on the open tailgate it makes a creaking sound. But not when I push on the side of the bed side to side. 

wonder what was actually bad on your whole assembly?

I got there about 15 minutes before closing time to pick up truck. Never asked, just had service writer show me the noise was gone. Techs were already done for the day.

Grab the rear stake pocket with your hand/hands and give it hell, back and forth, with all your might. Shake it till the whole truck moves and report back. It will simulate a wash board gravel road.

15 hours ago, gemarsh said:

I got there about 15 minutes before closing time to pick up truck. Never asked, just had service writer show me the noise was gone. Techs were already done for the day.

Grab the rear stake pocket with your hand/hands and give it hell, back and forth, with all your might. Shake it till the whole truck moves and report back. It will simulate a wash board gravel road.

Not too much sound side to side but plenty bouncing on rear bumper. Is this the sound? 

4 hours ago, Pryme said:

Not too much sound side to side but plenty bouncing on rear bumper. Is this the sound? 

That's it! Drove me nuts sounding like a well used ford with i beam suspension. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, leolkfrm said:

thats what i had on my 22 3500hd,  they changed springs and shackles in the fall,  back on the road with good weather, so far so good!

So you had that same creaking too? Guess the dealer knows it’s springs and shackles. But I wonder what exactly is going on

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:00 PM, Jettech1 said:

Here's a weird analysis by me, you all are used to it by now I hope.  But doesn't this boil down to the U bolts not being torqued right from the factory?  How on earth will a new set of leaf springs and U bolts solve this problem?  I'm obviously missing something here.

I was told and I also think I read it somewhere that the u-bolts are a 1 time use. That was the reason for the bolt replacement.

I'm in central Nebraska. My dealer gets parts from a warehouse somewhere in Colorado and they had them in stock. The springs were at the dealer the next day. I don't know why a pair of springs would be in inventory unless there was a demand for them. I also don't know how many years back the springs would fit, so maybe all 2500's use this part number, that would help explain why the springs were in stock.

1 hour ago, gemarsh said:

I was told and I also think I read it somewhere that the u-bolts are a 1 time use. That was the reason for the bolt replacement.

I'm in central Nebraska. My dealer gets parts from a warehouse somewhere in Colorado and they had them in stock. The springs were at the dealer the next day. I don't know why a pair of springs would be in inventory unless there was a demand for them. I also don't know how many years back the springs would fit, so maybe all 2500's use this part number, that would help explain why the springs were in stock.

I get what you are saying and most U bolts are a one time torque due to stretch, much like engine head bolts.  That doesn't mean they can't be used again but it's not recommended.  BUT....I still don't get it.  There has to be more to this story that hasn't been told yet.  How new U bolts and a new spring pack would solve a clunking issue.....I can't wrap my mind around it.  So there has to be more to the story.

45 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I get what you are saying and most U bolts are a one time torque due to stretch, much like engine head bolts.  That doesn't mean they can't be used again but it's not recommended.  BUT....I still don't get it.  There has to be more to this story that hasn't been told yet.  How new U bolts and a new spring pack would solve a clunking issue.....I can't wrap my mind around it.  So there has to be more to the story.

I would agree with your clunking theory. I never had a clunk. Just that damn creaking sound. Like in Pryme's video. If'n it was out of warranty, I would have started looking at the left rear spring eye bushing/shackle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had some time to get under the old girl. Hey now, talking about the truck. 

I’ve at least pinpointed the location of that creaking sound. I will post a video which has a before and after demonstration of the sound. 

All I used was simple green sprayed into the locations shown in the video. It doesn’t appear to come from the ubolt area at all.

here is a quick video for anyone interested. 
now I’m expecting the sound to return when the simple green dries. 
The plastic shims like @newdude mentioned could be the culprit. I would wonder if the replacement shims/pucks whatever are thicker?

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

I’ve at least pinpointed the location of that creaking sound. I will post a video which has a before and after demonstration of the sound. 

All I used was simple green sprayed into the locations shown in the video. It doesn’t appear to come from the ubolt area at all.

The plastic shims like @newdude mentioned could be the culprit. I would wonder if the replacement shims/pucks whatever are thicker?

21-NA-138 1..3 (nhtsa.gov)    I don't think they are thicker rather, they have a different graining on the plastic face of them per the bulletin.  87838974 is the SRW number.  

Here's the other one on re-torquing the plate - 20-NA-022 1..3 (nhtsa.gov)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pryme said:

I did the same, but used the wife while I was under the truck. I used pb blaster. The creaking sound was coming from the hanger. Once it dried the creak was back.

It doesn't bother me one bit that replacement of the leaf packs was over kill. Been 1500 miles now, without 1 creak. Not my job to solve, when under warranty, even when I tried explaining to tech where the sound might be originating. 

Empty or overloaded during this planting season, the sound is gone. I am happy, but this shouldn't be an issue to begin with. Leaf packs look heavier duty than I remember...

20230502_120224.thumb.jpg.0cdf0b9ec60d08c3877e58bd9c02c795.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newdude said:

21-NA-138 1..3 (nhtsa.gov)    I don't think they are thicker rather, they have a different graining on the plastic face of them per the bulletin.  87838974 is the SRW number.  

Here's the other one on re-torquing the plate - 20-NA-022 1..3 (nhtsa.gov)

Would you happen to have the actual torque values? That bulletin doesn’t list it.