0 to 60 with the gasser and Allison combo

15 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Interesting video I found on youtube

Awesome. Surprised to hear the guy actually likes the 6spd more. Says the 10spd is a little busy. Same thing I hear about the Ford. 
this guy also says in the comments that the 6spd returned a quicker 0-60 but the 10spd pulls better from a roll. 

the cruising rpm is basically the same as the 6pd. 

im very happy with my 6spd. 

this guy says he’s working on towing and unloaded miles per gallon videos. Will be good to see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Awesome. Surprised to hear the guy actually likes the 6spd more. Says the 10spd is a little busy. Same thing I hear about the Ford. 
this guy also says in the comments that the 6spd returned a quicker 0-60 but the 10spd pulls better from a roll. 

this guy says he’s working on towing and unloaded miles per gallon videos. Will be good to see. 

It's a great short video and I'm looking forward to watching more.  I too am a little surprised he likes the 6 speed better, I bet with time he'll warm up to it and never look back.

11 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

It's a great short video and I'm looking forward to watching more.  I too am a little surprised he likes the 6 speed better, I bet with time he'll warm up to it and never look back.

The six speed is just right unless you’re pulling. Seems redundant if you stay in your TQ range. I read Car and Driver often. When the GM half ton with the 6.2 first got the 10 speed. The 0-60 slowed down. There’re assignment was the torque management was slowing down the truck while shifting more often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The six speed is just right unless you’re pulling. Seems redundant if you stay in your TQ range. I read Car and Driver often. When the GM half ton with the 6.2 first got the 10 speed. The 0-60 slowed down. There’re assignment was the torque management was slowing down the truck while shifting more often.

It would be interesting to see both the 6 speed and 10 speed lined up for a 0 to 60, 40 to 60 and 50 to 70.  If I had to guess the 10 speed will shine from the 40plus runs.  And I'm sure it will do better towing in that speed range as well.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

Custom Crew Cab (6'10.2" Bed)

4x4 6A 7.5 sec 15.9 sec @ 89.8 mph Motor Trend

Looks like 7.5 second 0-60 for the 6spd.  I know 0-60 times aren't really that important but it does show a comparison of the two.  0-60 loaded would be good to see.

Here is the Ford 7.3/10A Tremor

XLT Tremor 7.3L Crew Cab (6'9.9" Bed) 4x4 10A 7.3 sec 15.6 sec @ 89.6 mph Motor Trend
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

It would be interesting to see both the 6 speed and 10 speed lined up for a 0 to 60, 40 to 60 and 50 to 70.  If I had to guess the 10 speed will shine from the 40plus runs.  And I'm sure it will do better towing in that speed range as well.  Time will tell.

I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to do a 40-80 pull. The reason I want to do that exact pull is I have a video of my Tundra doing it. I want to see how close they are. The tundra feel a bit faster but it has 4.30 gears and is way lighter. We shall see. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pryme said:

I didnt see where he said he likes the 6spd more.

He said the 10spd keeps the engine in the power band very well. Also, passing/merging acceleration is definitely quicker with the 10 speed. If we did a side-by-side roll from 50-80, the 10 speed would walk away. That's where the close ratio 4,5,6,7 gear shine!

Will be great to see a towing comparison, that is where we 'should' see the gap widen.  Empty..ehh probably pretty close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRApex said:

I didnt see where he said he likes the 6spd more.

He said the 10spd keeps the engine in the power band very well. Also, passing/merging acceleration is definitely quicker with the 10 speed. If we did a side-by-side roll from 50-80, the 10 speed would walk away. That's where the close ratio 4,5,6,7 gear shine!

Will be great to see a towing comparison, that is where we 'should' see the gap widen.  Empty..ehh probably pretty close.

Quote the whole thing at least. I guess it was another fella who said the 6spd was better(that’s just opinion anyway it doesn’t mean anything) but the video poster does agree. He also mentioned a few times the 6spd does produce better 0-60 times. 

time will tell how much better, if at all, the 10spd is. 

This is the first I’ve seen from one so that’s all we have to go off. 

So far my take. Doesn’t produce lower cruise rpm vs the 6spd. 

is a bit slower in low speed acceleration 

is a bit quicker at higher speed passing. 

and it hunts for gears, which I’ve seen in the fords too and hate. 

6C8ADD89-877D-4C9C-8DED-35B2E4AE08DA.jpeg

F222B8E6-FFE3-4AB4-8FD6-769893F9B845.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm hoping the reliability is there like the 6 speed.  If it is I'm sure it will be an overall winner. 

Again time will tell. 

And the hunting issues I'm sure will be programmed out as time goes on.  I will say on our 10 speed explorer that it rarely hunts and has never really been an issue.  I know, big difference in weight and of course a different manufacturer, but still.

So I'm sure they can better fine tune it with time.

41 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Now that kind of surprises me in a way.  I was thinking they would drop the rpms down to say 1500 while cruising at 70.  Possibly better cruising fuel economy.  Apparently fuel economy wasn't on their radar, just better pulling power throughout the gears???  Maybe??

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Quote the whole thing at least. I guess it was another fella who said the 6spd was better(that’s just opinion anyway it doesn’t mean anything) but the video poster does agree. He also mentioned a few times the 6spd does produce better 0-60 times. 

39 minutes ago, Pryme said:

The 6spd is a good transmission and very capable.

I had 6spd Allisons in my DMax trucks and didn’t think the 10spd was necessary and it probably isn’t but I do prefer the 10spd overall, have put on 150,000 miles between two trucks now.

It will be interesting to see how many will prefer the 6spd in a year after spending a year with the 10.  Like someone said, time will tell.

• Like 2

When I found out my truck would be a 24' with the Allison, all that pain of waiting drifted away quickly so I'm happy about it. All I know is everything we've bought in the last 10 or 12 years has made advancements with tranny's and more gears. So I'm looking forward to it. I would expect a slight improvement in economy maybe when empty? I don't pull a heavy load as a rule but haul about 1500lbs in a water tank in the bed and pull a water trailer loaded, about 10,000lbs. Gotta tell ya, my 6.0 and 6spd is damn impressive, most impressive puller ever even over my old 3500 with 7.4 and to be fair, about the same mileage as I got pulling around 9000lbs of boat I once had, 8mpg loaded all day long, 11mpg all day long empty. But I've had some impressive mileage on the interstate pushing a sheet of plywood into the wind with this HD. 

I fail to see how the Allison isn't a positive step forward but my mind is wide open.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

When I found out my truck would be a 24' with the Allison, all that pain of waiting drifted away quickly so I'm happy about it. All I know is everything we've bought in the last 10 or 12 years has made advancements with tranny's and more gears. So I'm looking forward to it. I would expect a slight improvement in economy maybe when empty? I don't pull a heavy load as a rule but haul about 1500lbs in a water tank in the bed and pull a water trailer loaded, about 10,000lbs. Gotta tell ya, my 6.0 and 6spd is damn impressive, most impressive puller ever even over my old 3500 with 7.4 and to be fair, about the same mileage as I got pulling around 9000lbs of boat I once had, 8mpg loaded all day long, 11mpg all day long empty. But I've had some impressive mileage on the interstate pushing a sheet of plywood into the wind with this HD. 

I fail to see how the Allison isn't a positive step forward but my mind is wide open.

If it performs like it does with the Duramax, you’re going to love it.  Been very reliable matched to a motor with more torque and HP since 2020 so it’s not a brand new tranny.