2023 Sierra 1500 AT4 trailer plug mis-wired?

My pickup is 1 month old and I hooked up to my airstream for the 1st time yesterday the brakes would not release, right turn signal stayed on even after I shut the truck off. Unconnected the light cable brakes roll and the turn signal shut off. Took a tester light to it and it appears that each of the wires need to rotate counter clockwise one position to work properly. Constant power is where the right turn signal should be as an example. I have never had a problem with the trailer and any other vehicle we have used to tow it. Is this a problem from the factory? If so how do I unpin and move? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, diyer2 said:

If you are correct cut the wires in the harness and correct placement. Solder them and use shrink tube, the right way.

Why would you cut the factory wiring and do a splice repair on a 1-month-old truck that has a warranty?  The dealer can either unpin the wires from the connector and replace them correctly or order a new harness and whatever else is needed and just replace the miswired parts.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Take it to the dealer and let them verify. The 7 pin on GM vehicles is the standard used throughout the RV indistry. The OEM components are made by Pollak. @macattack64 is incorrect. 

Unless the company that built the harness for GM (they dont make them at the assembly plant) its unlikely that it was put together wrong since it will only go together if its clocked properly. 

Has the Airstream had any other vehicles hooked to it ?   I would try and verify that the umbilical hasnt been replaced, damaged or modified on it. It would be way more likely that it is wired incorrectly. 

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 1

Sorry, I am not incorrect. I just checked my 2024 and on the cover of the 7way connector it shows the 7way (Traditional SAE wiring. Plus I just completed rewire a trailer that I haul with and added the reverse lights. Here is the picture of different 7way setup and my 2024 is the traditional pin out. My 2013 2500HD is the same way as well and had an issues the first time I hooked it to my 5th wheel travel trailer.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 110259.jpg

I think we are confused. The truck side and trailer side are functionality identical. It's just the color of wire that's different. 

The truck plug is colored coded to what I call SAE. The RV plug is colored coded differently. The plug pin location of the truck operates the same function whether it a rv/camper or a gooseneck/dump trailer.

I honestly have not re-pinned a trucks factory 7way. But what the OP is saying from taking a test light to the truck, the wiring is clocked wrong. He needs to take it to a dealership and let them deal with it under warranty. 

Edited by gemarsh
  • Like 1

I have owned 5 RV trailers, a couple of utility trailers and serviced 3 various trailers at work (2 utility and one enclosed 14k equipment trailer) and they have all been compatible with the plugs on GM vehicles. 

I agree that several trailers I have worked on have not used the same color coding that the vehicle OEM's use but color is meaningless since most trailer builders use whatever color they can get the cheapest and its very rare to find an RV that has any color coding of any kind. Pin positions are the same. https://www.etrailer.com/question-206529.html#:~:text=It's a wire color difference,equipment%2C utility and cargo trailers.   The OP was suggesting a change in clocking. 

I will go with my 60+ yrs of experience and let that guide me. 

The OP was one and done from back in March so I guess theres no point in even continuing the discussion. 

• Like 1

I have owned 2 gooseneck trailers, a race car trailer, 30' tongue pull travel trailer, 42' 5th travel trailer 24' car hauler, and 3 16' utility trailers. The travel trailers pigtail have always been an issue until they are clocked correctly. I was more talking of the clocking of the wires to work correctly. To me makes no difference about the color. I have no idea why some RV or other trailer group came out with the RV pin out. Why can't everything just be the standard 7-way. I have come across this with the last 5th wheel I pulled and rewired the trailer plug to match my trucks. My F-350, 2500HD and my new GMC 1500. I have learned over the years to verify the trailer is done correctly from 4-way, 5-way and 7-way. Hate the 5-way cause it seems to be a bastard for any trailer plug.

Edited by macattack64

On 3/23/2023 at 12:02 PM, jaxcam02 said:

Take it to the dealer under warranty. 

Yes take this to a dealership. This is not as simple as it seems. There are a lot of other systems involved in the wiring with the brake controller and modules. This could be a huge problem. This is a dealership problem!