Why No LTZ Sport Appearance/Midnight Package??

I Find it interesting how the Silverado 2500's offer the Midnight/Sport Edition packages on the LTZ but not on the 1500's.

Ram offers it on Laramies for both 1500/2500.

Ford offers it on Lariats for both 1500/2500.

Some of us would love a chrome delete on an LTZ.

I Find the LTZ W Z71 to be the perfect mid tier truck in Chevy's lineup, just wondering

why this isn't an option yet on LTZ trims?

Has it ever been an option for buyers?

Yeah they are missing out on money. I'd spend the 1k to get rid of the chrome if I could today. And now theres a midnight edition for every 1500 trim except LTZ for 2024. The 18 LTZ Z71 was body color IIRC

My guess its its a parts issue, or Chevy really doesn't want buyers opting for LTZ with body matched bumpers. They'd rather you buy the High Country which is a more expensive body color truck that makes them more money. Leaving the LT and LTZ for the chrome lovers. 

I think its a mistake, but I've also come to like the current LTZ look after seeing it multiple times a my local dealer. They are stacked full of them. Fiancé still hates chrome which is holding me off.

Edited by Jefffan

1 hour ago, Jefffan said:

Yeah they are missing out on money. I'd spend the 1k to get rid of the chrome if I could today. And now theres a midnight edition for every 1500 trim except LTZ for 2024. The 18 LTZ Z71 was body color IIRC

My guess its its a parts issue, or Chevy really doesn't want buyers opting for LTZ with body matched bumpers. They'd rather you buy the High Country which is a more expensive body color truck that makes them more money. Leaving the LT and LTZ for the chrome lovers. 

I think its a mistake, but I've also come to like the current LTZ look after seeing it multiple times a my local dealer. They are stacked full of them. Fiancé still hates chrome which is holding me off.

What bothers me is even stepping up to the HC doesn't get rid of the chrome. THey have to include that god awful non-sense on everything. I have wrapped most of it away, but it should be easier than that. Heck, if anything, chrome should be an option. I don't think it's as popular as it's made out to be. 

20 hours ago, 1454 said:

What bothers me is even stepping up to the HC doesn't get rid of the chrome. They have to include that god awful black non-sense on everything. I have wrapped most of it away, but it should be easier than that. Heck, if anything, chrome should be an option. I don't think it's as popular as it's made out to be. 

Fixed that for you. The high country is the top end street trim, it should not be blacked out, the people who buy those trucks aren't 19. Chrome has always been associated with luxury and class, that hasn't changed and that is who they are trying to target with these trucks, the ones with money in most cases (they tend to be older). 

Gun to my head, chrome over black hands down. A balance is much better though. Chrome bumper for sure (they are much more durable than paint), aluminum silver wheels or a gunmetal (everyone and the suburban moms have black wheels which are just plain with no character), chrome trim surround grill with black center and then some painted handles and mirror caps and so on. The blacked outlook fad should be dying any day now. Though offering a package isn't a bad idea...

Tyler

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Fixed that for you. The high country is the top end street trim, it should not be blacked out, the people who buy those trucks aren't 19. Chrome has always been associated with luxury and class, that hasn't changed and that is who they are trying to target with these trucks, the ones with money in most cases (they tend to be older). 

Gun to my head, chrome over black hands down. A balance is much better though. Chrome bumper for sure (they are much more durable than paint), aluminum silver wheels or a gunmetal (everyone and the suburban moms have black wheels which are just plain with no character), chrome trim surround grill with black center and then some painted handles and mirror caps and so on. The blacked outlook fad should be dying any day now. Though offering a package isn't a bad idea...

Tyler

Good write up you nailed it. All blacked out is just to plain and boring. The blacked out fad around my parts is already dying out as iam seeing more and more trucks going back to to chrome or silver rims. Debadging or going to black emblems I never understood why even have black badges when you can't see what they are from a distance. Debadging now they made there truck look like a base model truck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Tyler

Spot on Tyler.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:06 PM, dieselfan1 said:

I heard there is a midnight edition coming on the 24

High Country 1500

You are correct. I just read on GM Authority the midnight package is coming in 2024 to HC trucks.  Me personally, am tired of the "dark vader" looking trucks.  I'm 41 now and even when I was 21 I performed chrome.  HC and Denali means CHROME! Black just looks dull and boring. Especially when the vehicle is dirty!

Offer the midnight package in a LTZ and/or RST.  Leave the HC and Denali alone.  Just my 2 cents. 

On 3/31/2023 at 9:16 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

Tyler

I don't care so much about "blacked out" as i do about *NO CHROME*. I'm fine with body colored. I'm fine with black. I hate every aspect of chrome. The fake chrome inside, the awful chrome outside, etc. This isn't a "19 y/o" fanboy take, and I really don't like that it is assumed that "younger" adults can't afford this. It may be associated with "luxury" for boomers due to the trends of their generation, but it's not for everyone else. I don't see a M-B decked out in all chrome. I don't see a BMW with generous amounts of chrome. (Although both do have some, unfortunately, of the fake variety). Those groups, as garbage like the "Cybertruck" show, are clearly underserved in favor of the boomers that are mostly all on SSI and depleting their lack of savings at this point. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:00 AM, TNTSilverado said:

You are correct. I just read on GM Authority the midnight package is coming in 2024 to HC trucks.  Me personally, am tired of the "dark vader" looking trucks.  I'm 41 now and even when I was 21 I performed chrome.  HC and Denali means CHROME! Black just looks dull and boring. Especially when the vehicle is dirty!

Offer the midnight package in a LTZ and/or RST.  Leave the HC and Denali alone.  Just my 2 cents. 

That's a good way to keep me from buying. I don't buy an RST. I want every option available. I almost didn't buy my truck due to the still excessive chrome of even the HC. I don't even care for "blacked out", if it could just be black or body colored. 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, Silverado4x4 said:

Good write up you nailed it. All blacked out is just to plain and boring. The blacked out fad around my parts is already dying out as iam seeing more and more trucks going back to to chrome or silver rims. Debadging or going to black emblems I never understood why even have black badges when you can't see what they are from a distance. Debadging now they made there truck look like a base model truck.

Posts like this completely miss the point. I don't, nor do anyone I know, care so much about "blacked out". We just don't want chrome. I don't need black wheels, or black trim. I'm fine with aluminum "base" colored wheels. I'm just not driving a peterbuilt, nor do I want to look like I am. It can be claimed that "people don't like that", but even the Escalade doesn't come with excessive chrome. So, maybe this mentality that everyone loves "chrome" might be incorrect?

The "Vader" chrome and the AT4 dark chrome, its all junk anyway.  They peel within the first year or two of driving the truck.  The dark finish is just a laminate almost like a window tint film that is applied over the regular chrome pieces that are there.  

Here's a thread on this very site - 

Its not just the trucks either.  Pic for refrence from the Acadia forums:

AT4 Black Chrome on grille peeling | GMC Acadia Forum

acadia-chrome-jpg.11347

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Im only 28 and i associate the chrome with a mature, higher end appearance. To me blacked out wheels and trucks in general are "cheap" IMO. Everyone a few years ago was plasti-dipping their wheels and door handles and it just looked cheap. Having a LTZ or HC is pretty much the nicest silverado you can get and the chrome sets you apart from the other 5 or so lower models. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After having 2-midnight editions in a row I ordered in 2020 a double cab LTZ Z71 well now I'm being told no more LTZ trim in the double cab trucks. Double cabs trucks are what I buy I get a new truck every 4-5 years but it looks like the next one will not be from GM.

bigtru7.PNG