Picked up my 2024 Denali 3500 :)

Took home this yesterday, it finally came in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far so good. Just trying to learn the truck now and im sure i will have lots of questions and i have a few now.

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the bed light go on when you drop the tailgate?

I also have a question on the trailer connectors. Why did GM only put camera inputs on the bumper? Seems like an odd place for them if you have a 5th wheel or a gooseneck. Also i noticed in the bed there is a 4 pin connector along with the 7 pin i would expect for a 5er/gooseneck, why would they not put that on the bumper where it would make sense for a small trailer?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, nitro882 said:

Took home this yesterday, it finally came in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far so good. Just trying to learn the truck now and im sure i will have lots of questions and i have a few now.

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the bed light go on when you drop the tailgate?

I also have a question on the trailer connectors. Why did GM only put camera inputs on the bumper? Seems like an odd place for them if you have a 5th wheel or a gooseneck. Also i noticed in the bed there is a 4 pin connector along with the 7 pin i would expect for a 5er/gooseneck, why would they not put that on the bumper where it would make sense for a small trailer?

Very nice!  Haven't seen many DRWs come in yet.

On the lights with tailgate, I haven't found anything in the settings. I would love this feature too.  I use a tonneau cover on my truck 100% of the time.  Would be awesome if there was a way to have those lights come on any time you drop the gate.

Great looking Truck. Regarding the Camera connection in the bumper opposed to in the bed. The transparent camera (per GM) is only designed to work with a bumper pull trailer under 30'. However many have found it will work with a goose neck/5th wheel over that length.

22 hours ago, Grjfer said:

Great looking Truck. Regarding the Camera connection in the bumper opposed to in the bed. The transparent camera (per GM) is only designed to work with a bumper pull trailer under 30'. However many have found it will work with a goose neck/5th wheel over that length.

2024 trailer camera is supposed to work on fifth wheel trailers too for transparent view, 2023 was only bumper pull.

My neighbor picked up his 2024 denali ultimate 3500 srw about 6 weeks ago.  It is beautiful.  As an FYI, one of the 2 batteries leaked and somehow put a hole into the charge air pipe.  All was repaired by the dealer.  Additionally last week he asked me to look at his factory dealer installed bed/tailgate speakers (didnt realize that was a thing) he said they were not working.  He found a blown fuse and some questionable wiring, he has another dealer appointment this week to fix them.

1 hour ago, HawkScot said:

2024 trailer camera is supposed to work on fifth wheel trailers too for transparent view, 2023 was only bumper pull.

That's good to know. Found it odd that it wouldn't work with a 5th wheel/gooseneck without the workaround.

On 6/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, HawkScot said:

This is thew way i understood it too. If that is the case it makes no sense to not have connections for it in the bed too. I still don't understand the 4 pin in the bed. I would think any gooseneck or 5er would need a 7 making the 4 pin useless. I need to grab my meter and see if the 4 pin is even wired. Im going to be towing a 46' 5th wheel with this truck so i will find out more when i get the trailer. 

Another thing i find very odd with this truck. The "user profiles" thing in the infotainment system. Its useless. All it does it set the presets and some infotainment options for the user. It does not change anything else, One would think it would change the dash layout, seat location, mirrors etc to that users settings but it does not. My wife's 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe can do it why not this 2024? 

I feel the same way about the bed lights, my 2019 RAM would pop them on as soon as the tailgate was dropped. If you wanted to turn them off for any reason there was a switch right on the left rear light. Makes no sense to not see something that simple on a truck in 2024 especially one costing north of 90k. 

Overall the truck is great. Rides way better than i ever thought a 1 ton would ride based off prior 3/4 ton ownership and i am also pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy for such a heavy truck. My last HD which was a 3/4 ton gasser got 10 everywhere no matter what, this truck has already seen 18 on the freeway according to the confuser. It also feels quite quick for such a big heavy truck, it has no problem getting out of its own way for sure. 

Edited by nitro882

The camera plug/4-pin plug issue has been a headache since 2020. There is a fix that can be made to swap those plug locations. Just google “Camera location swap GM bumper bed” and you can pull up videos or have your dealership make the swap. 

On 7/1/2023 at 8:47 AM, M3rlin said:

The camera plug/4-pin plug issue has been a headache since 2020. There is a fix that can be made to swap those plug locations. Just google “Camera location swap GM bumper bed” and you can pull up videos or have your dealership make the swap. 

Thanks for this, i did a little research and i have the cables on order so I can set this up, it looks really easy. Im not sure i care about the "invisible view" so much as i just want the camera on the rear for backing up which it should support at my trailer length. I ordered the cables today so i can do this swap.

The thing that gets me is this little thing from the manual. They show the camera connector and right underneath it they say with the 5th wheel package its in the bed which its clearly not based of what i see with my truck.

spacer.png

Edited by nitro882

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 4:05 PM, nitro882 said:

Thanks for this, i did a little research and i have the cables on order so I can set this up, it looks really easy. Im not sure i care about the "invisible view" so much as i just want the camera on the rear for backing up which it should support at my trailer length. I ordered the cables today so i can do this swap.

The thing that gets me is this little thing from the manual. They show the camera connector and right underneath it they say with the 5th wheel package its in the bed which its clearly not based of what i see with my truck.

spacer.png

I argued with my dealership about how it was written in the book back in 2020. Didn’t get anywhere. My husband and I own this dealership and this is my 3rd HD 3500 and each one has had to have the plug swap done.  The plugs on the end of the cameras are another issue. They easily pull off the wire and there is no means of getting the plastic end of the plug if it gets damaged. We are trying to run these issues up the chain but, it is an uphill battle. With the 2024 I had trailer connection issues and had to ad a Hydrastar Controller Adapter Module on the truck (not the trailer) to fix dropping trailer brake issue. I love my trucks. Just port design in the towing department!