Allison 10L1000 10 speed tranny

Thanks to Youtuber :

https://www.youtube.com/@JoesCarSmartsNY

I learned that for some F'd up reason Allison leaves about 2 gallons in the pan after you've "emptied" the trans fluid, so....

knowing this allowed me to head off an awkward situation laying on my back, I really did not want to take a "tranny fluid shower".

I made a little wooden platform for my bottle jack and after slowly lowering the pan a few inches I used a vacuum tank to suck all but a few ounces of fluid out of the pan.  This worked beautifully.  Almost no metal sludge on the two large magnets after 60,000 on a light RV towing pampered 2020 Chevy 2500 diesel pickup.  Trans fluid had darkened considerably but still smelled "good".

Ya gotta love Youtube, a video posted voluntarily made the job easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

20230819_133606.jpg

20230819_154010.jpg

20230819_160116.jpg

20230819_141400.jpg

Edited by augiemattheiss
add photo of extractor
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did mine the other day.  All went smoothly.  I just measured what I got out (8 qts) and put that same amount back in. 

It's not a difficult job, but it sure could be a lot easier.  As in how about the innovation of a drain plug?  Then perhaps a spin on filter?  I guess it saves the manufacturer a dollar or 2 per vehicle, while simultaneously discouraging regular service which means they sell more vehicles?  Am I too cynical?  😉    

• Like 2

I believe this is a sign that Allison didnt have complete control of the design process. They have historically been very good about making their transmissions easy to service from the 4000 series all the way down. This one however looks very much like a GM design with no concern given to serviceability. No external filter and no drain plug. When I pull mine to service it the pan is getting sent to the welder for a drain plug. 

42 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

I believe this is a sign that Allison didnt have complete control of the design process. They have historically been very good about making their transmissions easy to service from the 4000 series all the way down. This one however looks very much like a GM design with no concern given to serviceability. No external filter and no drain plug. When I pull mine to service it the pan is getting sent to the welder for a drain plug. 

That's because Allison didn't build the transmission.  At all.

Its a GM built transmission.  Allison helped in the testing and validation of the 10L1000 to their standards for their products, which then earned it the Allison branding.  So they had a hand in it, but not a big one.  

Also.  The removal of service ports and dipsticks is an industry wide thing at the moment.  They all have a fluid level check plug and one or two access ports to add fluid.  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, newdude said:

That's because Allison didn't build the transmission.  At all.

Its a GM built transmission.  Allison helped in the testing and validation of the 10L1000 to their standards for their products, which then earned it the Allison branding.  So they had a hand in it, but not a big one.  

Also.  The removal of service ports and dipsticks is an industry wide thing at the moment.  They all have a fluid level check plug and one or two access ports to add fluid.  

I understand all that, I was expanding on that information. I also believe that if Allison was truly involved in the development the absence of a dipstick would have brought an electronic level check similar to most of the 3000 and 4000 series units. 

2 hours ago, newdude said:

I helped a buddy change the transmission oil on his Acura, same thing a fill port and a plug.  We did the same on that, measured what came out and put that much back in. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 6:43 AM, XY74 said:

Did mine the other day.  All went smoothly.  I just measured what I got out (8 qts) and put that same amount back in. 

It's not a difficult job, but it sure could be a lot easier.  As in how about the innovation of a drain plug?  Then perhaps a spin on filter?  I guess it saves the manufacturer a dollar or 2 per vehicle, while simultaneously discouraging regular service which means they sell more vehicles?  Am I too cynical?  😉    

You are accurate in your assessment!

• Like 1