Excessive Oil Consumption Problem

2020AT4

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

We just disagree. Simple.

Well I needed a chuckle. A sensor on the brake pads but no check oil sensor. So a towel for over the fender, a step ladder, a wipe towel and gloves up to your elbow. To check the oil after getting gas. Ok I dig it, ah no.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

IMHO the frequency that one checks oil is a trust built between the owner and the vehicle. I trust some more than others. But it's based on my experience with the vehicle. 

I can picture my wife and daughters trying to check the oil in their vehicles. A two qt low oil sensor would alleviate that worry. My granddaughter had a transmission lite come on her Mazda 3. She was 100 miles away from me. I told her to go to auto zone in that town. They put the oil in for her. The same could happen with motor oil.

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I can picture my wife and daughters trying to check the oil in their vehicles. A two qt low oil sensor would alleviate that worry. My granddaughter had a transmission lite come on her Mazda 3. She was 100 miles away from me. I told her to go to auto zone in that town. They put the oil in for her. The same could happen with motor oil.

I can't picture it either, :shakehead: so I check my wife's vehicle for her before every trip of any length.  That way she keeps feeding me! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Even the equipment my company sells has low oil systems in all oil tanks and engine. As well as temperature systems. There are trained operators. The manufacturers put failsafe override for protection. Lights will go off and the system will go into limp mode then shutdown. 

• Like 2

I knew my post would get flack from someone.

Checking fluids is the way I was taught living on a farm and required when I was an Operating Engineer,

and I want to avoid my motors running 2 quarts low. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I knew my post would get flack from someone.

Checking fluids is the way I was taught living on a farm and required when I was an Operating Engineer,

and I want to avoid my motors running 2 quarts low. 

I like tossing around ideas. It’s not flack. I come from solving problems like installing fail safe systems in heavy equipment. The idea of a sensor in an oil pan from the factory whether 1 or 2 QTs to trigger a light. Is an extension of what I learned in my years around heavy equipment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Checking fluids is the way I was taught...

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ditto. Dad used to say, "Know why they call it an idiot-light"? :idiot:

Me 3....

I check because if it's a half quart low and I'm still a long way from doing an oil change, then I'm likely gonna add some.

I always figured the oil oil light was for in the event of a catastrophic failure (external oil line or oil filter) that is dumping the oil.

(and I've assumed it comes on at a level well below the add mark on the stick)

Kinda / sorta like the low oil pressure light. 

I don't think either is to indicate routine maintenance is required

-- but to indicate that immediate attention is required.  

Back to the original question -- how do you know they added the correct amount?

Some engines take a long time to drain back enough to get an accurate level.

I always do a cold check the morning after a service.

1) GM pickups don't all use the same amount of oil. 

Could lead to over or under full.

2) If oil dropped when engine cool/cold, then it might not have been left long enough to get a full drain. 

Cold check is the only way to get an accurate determination if the level is changing, so a cold check establishes the starting level. 

IMO, checking when hot, like at fuel fill, only indicates that it hasn't lost a huge amount. Be cautious if adding oil because of a hot check.

I've had more trouble with number 2 -- oil level is to high (on a 6.6 duramax, that takes 10 qts)

I'd rather be a little on the low side that over filled. Foamed oil is not your friend.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Well it seems the automakers are listening to the people who can’t be bothered to open their hoods. On some of these newer vehicles the only dipstick you will find is the one behind the wheel…

You are so funny. I don’t know too many ladies that want to check their oil or open their hood. It seems that some dipsticks can’t tell they need brakes so there’s a sensor for that. Same with a low fuel light when there’s a gauge right there. My old truck even has a gauge on the air filter housing and a sensor on the coolant tank. I don’t think a low oil sensor for a qt or two on the oil pan would be much of a stretch. It would be very convenient for people who leave at dark and come home in the dark. Not everyone goes through life in jeans and T shirts. 

If people get any lazier their heart will stop beating. "Want" has nothing to do with anything. Lots of things I don't "want" to do. I worked in a business where everything had a redundant backup. Sometimes the backup had a backup. Sometimes they all fail. When they do, I didn't get to cry "I don't want to do my every two-hour field checks". (The third backup) I got to look for new work. 

Burn up one of my dad's motors cause you 'don't want to' and he'd own your check until the repair bill was paid. Male or female. Quit working and he quit feeding you. Throw a fit and your bags were on the porch. Life is tough. We all do things we don't want to do but must. If you drive it, you check it. Your break it......:rollin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If people get any lazier their heart will stop beating. "Want" has nothing to do with anything. Lots of things I don't "want" to do. I worked in a business where everything had a redundant backup. Sometimes the backup had a backup. Sometimes they all fail. When they do, I didn't get to cry "I don't want to do my every two-hour field checks". (The third backup) I got to look for new work. 

Burn up one of my dad's motors cause you 'don't want to' and he'd own your check until the repair bill was paid. Male or female. Quit working and he quit feeding you. Throw a fit and your bags were on the porch. Life is tough. We all do things we don't want to do but must. If you drive it, you check it. Your break it......:rollin:

Didn’t you mention you checked your wife’s oil? I drive my wife’s car Sunday to church just to put gas in it for her. I don’t want her to linger at the service station. Can’t be too careful. I definitely wouldn’t want her to be under the hood at a service station. Her car could have a check oil light. It doesn’t use any so who knows. It has an oil change light, it never comes on. I change it before it does. Are we lazy because we have tire air pressure lights? I live on a hill. Two of my vehicles aren’t level in my yard. I wouldn’t get a true measure. So I check at gas fill ups about every 2K miles. Is hot, nasty and dirty especially the Honda. A check oil light would be nice. I guess that’s one convenience we shouldn’t have. Those automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers, vibrating seats and heating seats are really necessary though. Got to have those back up cameras and bumper sensors too. Oil check light, just too much to ask for.

• Haha 2

It's all too much. Thing has become like a phone. It's done when they say it is. "I'm sorry, we no longer support that soft/hardware". And we just keep handing them the keys to our wallets. Lord, half of what they do provide lies. Oil pressure gauge, fuel level, water temperature. But hey, the oil level light is reliable? :dunno:

Yea, I do check it for her. She feeds me :) Doesn't mean she doesn't know how. Her dad insisted she be able to change oil and fix a flat if she was going to drive. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 5