In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

1996 1500 5.0 L fuel pump issues

fuel pump not working. found the black from the  4 wires going to tan plug bad, so  to the frame bad so replaced.

test light on the 3 pins tan (outside). purple (middle)  and black (outside):  with key on test light 

power to middle purple only, using black ground (outside the 3 pins) to the frame. no power to purple or black/tracer

added 12 volts to the the plug going to the tank, power to tan pump runs with  60psi. does not run when power to purple or black w/tracer.  

so the pump runs with power to tan, but truck is not sending power to that wire. 

I'm thinking  the pump is good , but have a bad tan wire with no power from the truck.  

any suggestions?

If I add a wire, where  would  I attach this to, the fuse box for the pump? 

thanks all.

The pump does NOT get power with just key on,only 3 second prime when you turn it on and then while cranking. If it is indeed in the wiring you would go back to the relay. You can not go just Willie Nillie running power thru circuits to see what happens! The damage you can cause is extreme.

Edited by richard wysong