AFM/DFM and torque converter failures

They are both real issues the extent of which is unknown since GM likely will never admit an issue and many people just fix the trucks on their own dime. There are a number of people that have become millionaires fixing GM's mistakes. The AFM/DFM debacle is a direct result of Government mandates that went wrong. The 5.3 was virtually bulletproof with regular maintenance and then along came AFM/DFM.  The TC issues are just the result of inferior quality parts and processes. 

But thats my opinion and you should never trust an unknown person on the internet. 

• Like 1

I was just at a dealership the other day and was price comparing various things.  I took the time to ask about torque converter issues with the 10-speed.  They admitted they've had to order several.  They also said the techs told them it's either people driving with the truck in L mode so they can prevent DFM from activating, or prior who have a busy foot on the accelerator and are unable to maintain a constant speed.  I thought the latter was weird to bring up because that sounds like normal driving conditions to me. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, trp34g said:

Are AFM/DFM and torque converter failures as prevalent as the Facebook posts indicate? Real, or just squeaky wheels squeaking?

2020 CTB, Double Cab, 4.3/6 speed. 50,000 miles and my truck is at the dealer for its second torque converter. It’s had the thermal bypass valve replaced twice, too.

"They also said the techs told them it's either people driving with the truck in L mode so they can prevent DFM from activating"

Question to the crowd:  Why would this be harmful?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, trp34g said:

Agreed. Well, if it’s a huge problem, the dealers should be familiar with every variation on the subject. Taking mine in tomorrow for trans temp issue. If they play dumb, I’ll go elsewhere. 

What truck / transmission do you have?

On 3/14/2024 at 5:39 PM, 64BAwagon said:

If the trans is in L it will shift normally but is limited to the highest gear selected. Sounds like a BS excuse. 

I agree. I think that is Bullsh*t. I drive my truck in L9 and many others do as well. If GM wants me to stop driving in L9 then they will have to disable my DFM permanently.

11 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

I agree. I think that is Bullsh*t. I drive my truck in L9 and many others do as well. If GM wants me to stop driving in L9 then they will have to disable my DFM permanently.

Get a Range DFM disabler or the Pulsar and you won't need to use L-9. I had one in my 2012 (AFM) Sierra and it worked well. When I got my 2019 AT4 (DFM) I contacted Range and was told my existing disabler would not work on DFM, but if I sent it in they would reprogram it for DFM at no charge! I did send it in and have had it on my truck since. An added bonus is it also disables the auto start / stop about 90% of the time. (it's not designed for the auto start / stop but hey, I'll take it.)

3 hours ago, Jac365 said:

Get a Range DFM disabler or the Pulsar and you won't need to use L-9. I had one in my 2012 (AFM) Sierra and it worked well. When I got my 2019 AT4 (DFM) I contacted Range and was told my existing disabler would not work on DFM, but if I sent it in they would reprogram it for DFM at no charge! I did send it in and have had it on my truck since. An added bonus is it also disables the auto start / stop about 90% of the time. (it's not designed for the auto start / stop but hey, I'll take it.)

Range does not work on the newer refresh trucks. 2022 and newer have a different electrical "architecture". I  have contacted Range Technologies repeatedly to find out when they will make a product for newer refresh models. No information available about a disabler for the refresh trucks yet.