Unbelievable Week- My 04' Z71 truck burned!

Where do I begin? Last Saturday, I went into a field on my property that I have not driven in since last summer. It is/was covered with broomsage grass about eye level. Anyway, I got into some unexpected and severe mud and had to hit 4wd. As I was banging the rev limiter, trying to get through this sh*t. I started smelling smoke. I then did the stupid thing and let off of the gas. The truck sunk to the frame. Flames then started rolling out from under the truck and up the side. All I could do was grab my wallet, double check the baby seat for my little boy( I knew he was at home but still had to look) and haul ass. To make a long story short 2 fire trucks got stuck trying to get to where the truck was located. All they could do was contain the forest fire and let the truck burn. I heard the truck explode twice from where I took cover. A bulldozer pushed it out after the fire was out. About 10 acres of my land burned as well. My 04 Z71 with 14,000 miles is now an ash. After tons of phone calls and red tape, I finally got settled with the insurance company on Friday(state farm did me right).

As I was coming home from the insurance meeting Friday, i had to go to the Gm dealer. I even went and test drove a Ford FX4 but it is no comparison to our trucks. I did not know about the Aluminum block for 05 until I looked at a truck identical to mine except I saw the 310hp feature with the Aluminum block. Can you tell a difference in the power? Has anyone driven both the aluminum and the iron block trucks? I have decided I am going back with exactly what I had. I loved my 04 and I killed her. So I am going back with the same truck, color and all. debating on the Aluminum block. Thnks guys!

You're lucky you had State Farm. They are the best out there. This just goes to show that price isn't everything when purchasing insurance. Progressive would have been a nightmare to deal with on something like this. Glad to hear you are ok and everything is going to be taken care of by insurance.

I finally got settled with the insurance company on Friday(state farm did me right).

glad to hear that. Also glad to hear you made it out uninjured.

DO they know what caused the fire?

A big difference between the iron block and aluminum block? Not really, it is only 15 HP more. It is kind of cool to see all the aluminum stuff when you open the hood.... The steel liner/aluminum block technology is been around for a while, so I don't have any real concerns about problems with this set-up.

If you do upgrade from a 2004 to a 2005, the only significant changes are:

Aluminum block and + 15 HP

Electric cooling fans - most people think this is a good thing

Rear drum brakes - a lot of people had problems with the rear discs, the jury is still out on the new drum brakes.

If you loved your 2004 Z71, I would recommend you get a 2005 Z71...

Yea my buddy took pics on his digital camera. I cant put them on my slow ass computer but give me your emails and i will get him to send them to you guys. maybe you can post them on here for me. Man , I loved that truck, beautiful, loaded SLT. I just can't decide on the aluminum block yet for my new one.

Yea my buddy took pics on his digital camera. I cant put them on my slow ass computer but give me your emails and i will get him to send them to you guys. maybe you can post them on here for me. Man , I loved that truck, beautiful, loaded SLT. I just can't decide on the aluminum block yet for my new one.

You have a PM, I'll host the pix for ya.... I'm just as curious as the others to see it, sorry to hear about the loss, but happy to here you were taken care of.

Nice to hear about State Farm, since I have the same truck and State Farm too!

One of our members (steve2500HD) just bought an aluminum block 5.3L. However he has changed his user name and I can't remember what it is right now... I do remember that he posted he was very happy with it!!! :withstupid:

I did some checking, and he goes by SteveSierra now... Do a search and you find out some more info on his new truck...

Archived