pulled a car today

Hooked up a tow strap to my hitch and pulled my grandmas car home from a local mechanics shop.  Guy wanted $400 to change an $80 (he was charging $289) ignition module control

Pulled like a charm.  Tore the tow strap up though

How big of a tow strap were you using?  Just kind of curious what it was rated at, since you mentioned it tore it up.  I've got one thats about 20' long and rated at around 25000lbs.  Works really good for pulling people out of snow banks.

I'm glad you mentioned this Ryan.  I forgot all about this, but I pulled a friends '97 Dodge Ram for him a few weeks ago.  Guess where I towed it to...right to the dealer. :)   They had some funny looks on their faces when we pulled in.  They didn't see that I was the one doing the towing I guess because I heard one guy tell another "yeah, a Chevy pulled him in" with ticked of looks on their faces.  I then told them "yeah, that was me, Chevy saves the day again."  They didn't laugh, get mad or anything.  They just walked away.  I thought it was pretty funny. :D:D      My friend hated asking me to tow him, but it was pretty much his only choice, other thatn a tow truck.

Oh yeah, mines towed great too.  I tried with and without the tow/haul mode, and when in the tow/haul mode, I could really feel a difference.  Strong!

what was it rated?  Dont know it was one i bought at menards awhile back.  It didnt tear it was frayed a bit.  Probably from when i was a block away from home.  Got to a stop sign and i hit the gas forgot the car (dad in it) was behind me.  Tow strap wasnt that long.  The car was pretty close to my bumper.  Bad thing i had to pull it off a curb and into a busy intersection.  Truck handled it awesome.  Tow haul worked great

Get this now.  Place wanted to charge $289 for an ignition control module said it was bad.  Total bill with labor $400. Dad met my grandma at the local shop.  Dad said nope ill work on it.  They wanted $50 to tow it home (5 miles).  Said ill come get it which we did.  Then my dad tonight removed the ignition control module took it to autozone and trac auto.  They tested it and it wasnt even bad.  Oh guess what a new one is only $79.  Big difference from $289.  Well he bought some sensor for $15 which he thinks is the cause.  Will find out tomorrow if it worked

His transmission was messed up somehow.  I don't know the specifics.  His extended warranty covered it and he got a new tranny out of it, and only paid $50.00 or so.  He keeps telling me if I ever need towed or pulled out from being stuck, to give him a call.  We're both military and he said he would even come back off leave to pull me if I needed it.  :)  :D

Quote from MountaineerTom 99Z71, posted on Oct. 16 2001,10:02

I pulled a friends '97 Dodge Ram for him a few weeks ago.  Guess where I towed it to...right to the dealer. :)   They had some funny looks on their faces when we pulled in.  They didn't see that I was the one doing the towing I guess because I heard one guy tell another "yeah, a Chevy pulled him in" with ticked of looks on their faces.  I then told them "yeah, that was me, Chevy saves the day again."  They didn't laugh, get mad or anything.  They just walked away.  I thought it was pretty funny. :D  :D   My friend hated asking me to tow him, but it was pretty much his only choice, other thatn a tow truck.

Oh yeah, mines towed great too.  I tried with and without the tow/haul mode, and when in the tow/haul mode, I could really feel a difference.  Strong!

You should've gotten a picture of that one, we coulda started a great thread in BASH with it!

I towed an Eagle Talon with a 2000lb tie down strap once.  It was slipping at the tensioner, so we tied it in a knot right there.  Then it broke, but we tied it again.  Made it down the street, which was all we needed.

The real trick is to take up the tension as slowly as possible, so you don't jerk the strap, which will overload it more than just pulling the car/truck.  Coast forward very slowly until you feel the strap start to load up, then tickle the throttle until everything starts to roll forward slowly.  Finesse...

Jeff

Quote from 76BBSub, posted on Oct. 18 2001,08:59

You should've gotten a picture of that one, we coulda started a great thread in BASH with it!

I know!  I wished I would have, but I didn't think of it until afterwards and my friend said he was hoping I wouldn't think about taking one.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff is right.  My dad has an 81 model Deutz tractor that has a bad alternator on it so we have to pull it to start it whenever the new tractors are hooked to something else and if I am not careful I jerk the crap outta my neck and his if I don't keep my Z71 going slowly!!  As he said...FINESSE!!

Archived