Trees

MountaineerTom

When is the best time to plant a tree? I know a lot of people do it in the spring, but it seems like I've remember hearing that in teh fall is a good time too.

I'm in SC by the way, summer heat is brutal at times, winters are pretty mild.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

make sure its watered? Don't much of a horticulturist(thats the right one, I think?), but I'd make sure you don't plant of those that breaks in strong winds close to the house. Forgot what they are but they gorw really fast but have weak trunks.....see them toppled here in OK all the time, but they are a popular tree.

Worst time to transplant is when it's creating its new spring growth. But if you're talking about taking a long-established tree out of one location, and putting it in another, best time is when it's dormant. Fall is probably better than spring because the ground can settle around the roots for a whole winter, and then the wet ground of the spring thaw helps the roots get established without any shock.

They will all be new trees, not transplants. I'm looking at probably a weeping willow, dogwoods, and maybe a couple maples or oaks. Nothing really close to the house. Well, maybe one of the dogwoods since they don't get really big.

I was thinking fall would be good so it has all fall and winter to establish itself before the blistering summer.

They will all be new trees, not transplants.  I'm looking at probably a weeping willow, dogwoods, and maybe a couple maples or oaks.  Nothing really close to the house.  Well, maybe one of the dogwoods since they don't get really big.

I was thinking fall would be good so it has all fall and winter to establish itself before the blistering summer.

Yo Tom,

I'm not far from you in Florence, SC. Fall is absolutly the best time to plant. Dogwoods, Maples, and Oaks are great for our area. A Weeping Willow will work but they can get really messy looking and tend to want a lot of water.

The Dogwoods look great when they flower but they are a little slow growing. There are varieties of Maples and even a few Oaks that are pretty fast growers. If you want some color, the Red Sunset Maple does great in SC and looks awesome in the fall.

When is the best time to plant a tree?  I know a lot of people do it in the spring, but it seems like I've remember hearing that in teh fall is a good time too.

I'm in SC by the way, summer heat is brutal at times, winters are pretty mild.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I recommend fall as well. If you're looking for fast-growing, low-maintenance trees, you can try RMAUSA.com. I have 2 of them in my yard, and they've grown to full size in just about 4 years. They're also supposed to live for 50 years. Additionally, one tree that I think is beautiful is the tulip tree. Slow growing, but the leaf shape is awesome. Many people complain about a mess from weeping willows, so that may be something you want to consider. They're definitely good looking trees, so if you're not concerned about the mess, I say go for it.

Have fun!

Tom, planting a tree from a pot could be done most of the months of the year, but with the heat of the summer, as the others said, fall would be a much better choice. Planting one now would really require a lot of watering. I have sucessfully planted trees in mid-summer before by adding some root stimulater to the tree after I planted it. Transplanting a tree would be best in the month of February(at least in the south) when the tree is dorment, especially if you could plant it right before a rain for a couple of days. As far as types of trees, as Jim mentioned, I think the Red Maples are absolutely beautiful, I planted two of them myself. For the most part oak trees are fast growers, except maybe the Live Oak. The Shumard Oak and the Water Oak are two of my favorites. They are both fast growing. Also don't forget to fertilze them a couple of times a year. MMM

Fall is best. This will allow the roots to become established in a milder climate, YOU can control the water flow better in the fall than spring (yes, trees can drown) and by the time next summer comes around, the tree should be well on it's way. It will still need periodic watering the following summer when it gets dry and for up to one year after transplant.

Avoid fertilizing the tree unless it looks like it may die without help. You want the roots to "seek" the nutrients it needs. If you fertilize it, you are doing the job the roots should be doing and they will not grow out and down properly and your tree will end up with health problems thru life and won;t be as strong as it should be.

Good Luck!! Jim Mk, you are about 45 minutes (without weekend traffic) from my favorite vacation spot! We are going back to Myrtle Beach next month. I have driven thru Florence many times! :chevy:

Jim Mk, you are about 45 minutes (without weekend traffic) from my favorite vacation spot! We are going back to Myrtle Beach next month. I have driven thru Florence many times! :chevy:

Roger that. The wife and I tend to run over to the beach at least once a week or so. I think I can walk Broadway at the Beach blindfolded and I guess I've played just about every one of the Miniature Golf places. :D

Archived