Older 5.3 to E-85???

It can get quite involved since it is more than just changes to fuel injectors. PCM, fuel sensors, fuel lines, tank, pump, rubber seals just to name a few of the differences. I started to look into this, but sort of gave up after tracking down a couple dozen parts differences.

Now if I can find one of those aluminum block 5.3's.....

Could probably be done if you could find a wrecked truck/suv with the E85 option. If all the hardware/wiring gets installed you could probably have someone do up a computer with the needed changes. I don't think it would be worth it but it would be an interesting project. I've heard of people converting vehicles to E85 but they aren't flex-fuel. They will only run on E85. It can really be done pretty easily by just increasing the fuel delivery to get the proper A/F ratio. Read about allot of little Turbo Ricer cars running it to get more boost without pinging.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was reading something on e85.org or something and it says if you modify the engine yourself it is basically illegal and it can come back to bite you.

Its a type of fuel. 85% ethenol and 15% gas.

A vehicle can run on E-85 or regular gas

In indiana I seen this stuff is going for right above $2 a gallon but there are only a handful of stations in the state

As people have stated there would be alot involved in converting your truck. Your best bet would be to sell your truck and buy an e-85 one if you really wanted it but I am not sure why yet at this point? Even at todays gas prices with e-85 say 30-60 cents per gallon cheaper you will still end up paying more. E-85 has about 2/3 the energy content of gasoline so you will get around 2/3 the miles per gallon as you would on a tank of gas. If you made a dedicated e-85 truck (not gas and e-85) then you could improve on that by taking advantage of the higher octane rating of the e-85 and build an engine with higher compression. The general problem with e-85 at the moment is the price is artifically low because it is goverment subsidised. In reality the energy required to turn the corn into alcohol is more that you get out of it.

As people have stated there would be alot involved in converting your truck. Your best bet would be to sell your truck and buy an e-85 one if you really wanted it but I am not sure why yet at this point? Even at todays gas prices with e-85 say 30-60 cents per gallon cheaper you will still end up paying more. E-85 has about 2/3 the energy content of gasoline so you will get around 2/3 the miles per gallon as you would on a tank of gas. If you made a dedicated e-85 truck (not gas and e-85) then you could improve on that by taking advantage of the higher octane rating of the e-85 and build an engine with higher compression. The general problem with e-85 at the moment is the price is artifically low because it is goverment subsidised. In reality the energy required to turn the corn into alcohol is more that you get out of it.

This is the problem I'm have now. At 2.00 gas and 1.50 E85 I was breaking even on E85. But they are keeping the price difference constant. Now it is 2.75 gas and 2.25 E-85. I can't break even on that. I still top off with 1/4 tank or so of it from time to time when it gets real hot. Helps get my octane up to prevent any slight pinging I might get when it gets real hot.

FYI - I'm getting about 16-17 mpg average on 93 octane gas and 12-13 mpg on full E85. With the mix of about 1/4 tank I loose 1 mpg or so.

Archived